Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
braleighapp
Reel Rookie

Remote pairing screen frozen after factory reset

Several issues with my Hisense/Roku TV. First issue happened yesterday when the TV would not connect to my Wi-Fi connection. It's the same Wi-Fi connection it's been using for several years and worked fine the day before. After hours of repeated attempts and following all the recommendations (rebooting TV, rebooting router, typing in the Wi-Fi name/password manually, etc) I finally decided to do a full factory reset. Once I did that, it got as far as the "pair remote" screen and has stopped there. I have the voice remote so I pressed the button by the batteries, green light flashes, but it will not pair. Tried new batteries, tried different Roku remotes, still stuck on the "pair" screen. Very frustrating. TV is only a couple years old. Roku phone support was no help. Is there help here? 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote pairing screen frozen after factory reset

Before you factory reset it, was it showing Wi-Fi networks when it scanned?  Did you enter the information manually because no networks showed up?  It sounds like the Wi-Fi hardware may have failed which would explain the remote not pairing.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
braleighapp
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the reply. I ran an ethernet from the router to the TV and now it works fine, except for the remote. It will turn on and off the TV but nothing else. But I'm using the remote on the app on my phone and it works perfectly. The only issue i have now is YouTube TV won't play anything live. The screen freezes. Audio comes through, but the picture freezes. It will play back programs I previously recorded, but not live. All other channels and apps work fine. Not sure what is going on there. 

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community, @braleighapp.

We appreciate you reaching out for support. We'd be happy to suggest some troubleshooting steps to help you utilize your physical Roku remote and get you back on streaming the YouTube TV app on your Roku device.

We suggest the following troubleshooting steps to help you:

YouTube TV app troubleshooting steps

1. Remove the channel: navigate to your Home screen, move to the right, highlight the app, press Star*, then select Remove channel.
  2. Perform a system reboot: navigate to your Home, select Settings > System > Power (skip if unavailable) > System restart.
  3. Re-install the channel: navigate to your Home, scroll and select Store, look for the app, then press Add channel

How to set up and pair your Roku Voice Remote

If you have the Roku mobile app installed or another Roku remote that works with your streaming device, use the following steps to put your device into pairing mode from the Settings menu.

1. Press Home on your working remote or from the Roku mobile app  

2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select Remotes & devices
  4. Select Add devices
  5. Select Remote
  6. Select Continue
  7. Follow the on-screen instructions to pair your voice remote

For more details and troubleshooting steps about this, here are the support articles dedicated to this:

Please keep us posted on how it goes!

Best regards,
Carly.

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
braleighapp
Reel Rookie

I tried all of the above on several occasions. Spent almost 5 hours trying to resolve the YouTube issue. Google/YouTube and Hisense offered the same solutions but nothing worked. YouTube still freezes on live TV. I've since cancelled my YouTube subscription since it would not work. 

I believe the regular remote doesn't work because of the Wi-Fi hardware issue. Since I've straight-wired the TV with the router with an ethernet cable, the app remote works. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.