Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Abennett102012
Reel Rookie

Remote not working unless 1 inch from sensor.

Just received my roku Express and setting up but remote won't work unless its 1 inch from the sensor.  Should I return or is there a adjustment that needs to be made?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Re: Remote not working unless 1 inch from sensor.

You probably did not install the batteries properly, or the batteries may be defective.  Try different batteries.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
Abennett102012
Reel Rookie

I did it 3 times and added brand new batteries.  If I didn't have them in correctly it wouldn't work at.

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Sounds like the remote itself may be defective or ruined and you probably need to replace it with a new one.  ~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @Abennett102012,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

To resolve issues with your simple remote, start by looking for visible obstructions. Your Roku device might be is in a location where the remote signal is partially or fully blocked. Here are a few tips to ensure a clear path from your remote to your device:

• Always be sure you can see the front of your Roku device. 
  • Test your remote from various positions. 
  • Do not hide your Roku player

If the issue persists, please reply here with the serial number of the Roku device associated with the affected remote. Each Roku player device has its serial number or device ID printed on the bottom or back of the product. 

Keep us posted. 

Regards, 
Nimfa