Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mademoisellekel
Reel Rookie

Remote no longer working. Neither is new one

I have a Roku Express 4k. My remote suddenly stopped working. I changed the batteries. Nothing. I did all the steps everyone says to do. Nothing. Got a new remote. Nothing. My phone remote will work in the Roku app, just not the standard Roku remotes. Do I need a new Roku? 

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote no longer working. Neither is new one

Are the remotes voice remotes with TV controls or simple remotes?  What's the model number of the Express that's displayed under Settings->System->About?  There's too many "Express" models to keep track of.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Mademoisellekel
Reel Rookie

It’s a voice remote. I can’t get into settings because the remote doesn’t work to find out the model number. I bought it in 2022. 4k HD HDR and then 4K + express is all it says on the box. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I thought you could use the mobile app as a remote to navigate the menu, but I'll assume it's a 3941 if you got it in 2022.  The model number is also written on it somewhere.  The voice remote part is the more important thing.  Excuse me if you know this already, but voice remotes have to be paired before they'll work.  Using the mobile app as a remote, you can navigate to Settings->Remotes & devices->Remotes->Remotes->Add a new remote and follow the prompts.

My favorite way to pair a remote is to press and hold the pairing button on the back or inside the battery compartment until the light on the remote starts flashing, set the remote down next to the Roku device, and then connect the power to the Roku device.  If your remote doesn't have a pairing button, press and hold the Back and Home buttons at the top of the remote simultaneously until the light starts flashing.  Once the Express starts up, it should pair with the remote.

Since the mobile app is working, the remotes should pair.  It seems unlikely that you have two bad remotes.

How to set up your Roku® voice remote | Official Roku Support

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.