Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SilentBob

Remote Working/Not Working

Jump to solution

Model 3820R2 - Streaming Stick 4K 

Hi, I have a Roku streaming stick. The batteries for it's remote died, so I replaced them and it worked again. I had a package of recyclable AAA batteries, so used them new and it worked. However, they eventually died and I recharged them and oddly they don't work for the remote. The remote could still control my TV volume but couldn't turn the Roku on and use it. I replaced them with the same versions of the rechargeable batteries, and it works completely again. 

There must be a difference in amperage when the batteries are recharged. I'll have to measure the batteries with my multimeter and see if there are any differences. I understand I can buy a rechargeable controller, but I didn't and now trying to understand why rechargeable batteries won't work after recharging them.

I am using Energizer Recharge Power Plus AAA batteries. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Remote Working/Not Working

Jump to solution

Hey @SilentBob,

Welcome to the Roku community!

Thanks for reaching out about the issue with your Roku remote. It might not be the batteries causing the problem but rather the remote setup. In the meantime, try resetting your remote and setting it up to control your TV.

We recommend trying the following steps to help resolve this issue:

Reboot your voice remote

If your voice remote uses standard AA or AAA alkaline batteries, you can reboot it by removing and reinstalling them.

1. Remove the battery cover on the back of your remote
  2. Remove both batteries from the battery compartment
  3. Re-insert the negative (-) end of a battery first and then gently push the positive (+) end until the battery clicks into place
  4. Repeat the previous step to install the second battery
  5. Put the battery cover back on your remote

Re-pair your voice remote to your streaming device

If your voice remote has a pairing button, it will be located either on the back of the remote or under the battery cover. Press and hold the pairing button for 5 seconds or until you see the status light begin to flash.

Roku voice remote to control your TV

1. Press Home on your Roku voice remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select Remotes & devices
  4. Select Remote
  5. Choose your voice remote from the list and select Set up remote for TV control.
  6. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the process

Try doing this and see if it helps with what you're experiencing.

Please keep us posted!

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Remote Working/Not Working

Jump to solution

Hey @SilentBob,

Welcome to the Roku community!

Thanks for reaching out about the issue with your Roku remote. It might not be the batteries causing the problem but rather the remote setup. In the meantime, try resetting your remote and setting it up to control your TV.

We recommend trying the following steps to help resolve this issue:

Reboot your voice remote

If your voice remote uses standard AA or AAA alkaline batteries, you can reboot it by removing and reinstalling them.

1. Remove the battery cover on the back of your remote
  2. Remove both batteries from the battery compartment
  3. Re-insert the negative (-) end of a battery first and then gently push the positive (+) end until the battery clicks into place
  4. Repeat the previous step to install the second battery
  5. Put the battery cover back on your remote

Re-pair your voice remote to your streaming device

If your voice remote has a pairing button, it will be located either on the back of the remote or under the battery cover. Press and hold the pairing button for 5 seconds or until you see the status light begin to flash.

Roku voice remote to control your TV

1. Press Home on your Roku voice remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select Remotes & devices
  4. Select Remote
  5. Choose your voice remote from the list and select Set up remote for TV control.
  6. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the process

Try doing this and see if it helps with what you're experiencing.

Please keep us posted!

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.