Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mmega

Power button on universal remote only SOMETIMES works when paired with Roku TV

I bought two identical 32 inch TVs last week to replace some janky old TVs with blown out speakers. They're both Philips 32PFL6452/F7 Roku TVs. This is my first experience with Smart TVs, because old basic TVs basically aren't made any more.

I use cable boxes through Breezeline, formerly Atlantic Broadband. I quickly found the remote codes that make the big cable voice-controlled remotes work with the new Philips TVs, which only came with little dinky remotes that only have a couple menu buttons.

Everything works except for one annoying bug: The volume, channel, and power buttons all work on the universal remotes WHEN THE TV IS ALREADY TURNED ON. The power button on the universal remote turns the TV off AND on if I only keep the TV turned off for a minute or so.

After being turned off for a minute, both TVs will absolutely not react at all to the universal remote. I have to turn the TVs on with the physical button under the TV, or on the tiny official Philips remote. Once the TV is on, then the universal remote works again (including turning the TV off and on).

I'm testing everything. I've shut off all the sleep mode / power saving options I can find. I'm having the exact same problem on two identical TVs, with two identical universal remotes.

What's going on here? Do I have to live with this thing forever where I turn the TV on with the official remote, and then quickly switch to the universal remote that actually has buttons?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Power button on universal remote only SOMETIMES works when paired with Roku TV

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community, @mmega!

We appreciate you reaching out for support about your issues with utilizing a physical universal remote on your Philips Roku TV. Rest assured that we would be happy to provide further information and suggest some steps to help you.

Firstly, please be informed that Philips Roku TV designed its player hardware, including the remote that came with it, to seamlessly and effectively communicate with their TV. This careful design ensures optimal compatibility and smooth functionality. 

That said, we highly recommend using the remote that came with your Philips Roku TV or the Roku TV Remote

Furthermore, suppose you still want to use your universal remote. In that case, we highly suggest coordinating this with Philips Support for further assistance, as we only support your TV's running software operating system. 

I hope you find this information helpful.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.