Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mlewis1

Pairing ROKU remote comes up but won’t pair

Hey everyone, I can’t seem to figure out how to solve my issue with my remote. Yesterday I went to Walmart and bought a Roku voice remote to pair with my RokuTV I brought to college. However, pairing it hasn’t been so easy. I’ve tried everything I can find and it won’t work. The pairing screen always comes up on my TV and it claims to be pairing the remote, then the pairing screen goes away and the remote doesn’t work. I’ve tried taking out the batteries, unplugging the TV, etc. and to no avail. I hope someone can help me with this so I can use my RokuTV for movies!

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Pairing ROKU remote comes up but won’t pair

Hello @mlewis1

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

Please be advised that remotes for Roku TVs are manufactured directly by the TV manufacturer. We would recommend reaching out to the TV manufacturer's customer support team to report the issue and get help.

For a list of Roku TV manufacturers' contact information, visit our Community post here: Contacting Support for Your Roku TV

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Pairing ROKU remote comes up but won’t pair

@RokuKariza-Dis correct, the remotes that come with Roku TVs are supplied by the TV manufacturer, not Roku.  Problems with these remotes should be referred to the manufacturer.  In many cases it's simpler and faster to find an inexpensive Roku TV remote at a local retailer.  Most Roku TV remotes and even 3rd party remotes for Roku TVs are interchangeable because they use the same set of infrared (IR) commands. (The exceptions are HiSense and Sharp which issue their own set of IR commands so their remotes should only be used with their own brand TVs, but their TVs themselves support both sets of commands and can be used with any brand of Roku TV remote).

But Roku TV's are also compatible with Roku Voice Remotes, which DO come from Roku, and should pair to the TV. Mine have just paired without problems so I'm not sure wheat to suggest unless you also have a working Roku TV remote (or a Roku remote control app on your phone connected to the same local network as your Roku TV). 

With a working remote some people have reported success getting a stubborn Voice Remote linked by going into Settings > System > Remotes & devices. Now instead of clicking Remote, try Set up new device > [ ] Remote and check the box.

Meanwhile, until we can get your Voice Remote linked to your set, you will need a compatible Roku TV remote.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos