Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ghouston
Binge Watcher

Re: [OS 11.5] Remote Volume Ctrl Up/Dn Repetitious Intermittent

I believe I'm having this same issue! Ever since the latest update to my Roku Streaming Stick+, the volume on my Samsung TV (using only the TV's speakers) goes crazy in both directions using the Roku remote. I can press the up button once and the volume blasts 10-40 volumes up. I can press the volume down button one time and the volume sometimes drops to 0 or drops 4-5 volumes down. Just now, I tried turning the volume up, pressed the up button once and the TV volume just rose to 75!

This is a very new issue and only started happening after the last update. I've had this same Roku device, remote, and TV for over 2 years...no issues. I have indeed trying to re-pair the remote. The issue still persists.

I also have another identical Samsung TV, identical Roku Streaming Stick+, and Roku remote upstairs and the exact same issue is occurring there, too.

Software version: 11.5.0 Build 4235 - last update was 10/26/2022

ghouston
Binge Watcher

[11.5] Volume control with remote goes crazy after update

Ever since the latest update to my Roku Streaming Stick+, the volume on my Samsung TV (using only the TV's speakers) goes crazy in both directions using the Roku remote. I can press the up button once and the volume blasts 10-40 volumes up. I can press the volume down button one time and the volume sometimes drops to 0 or drops 4-5 volumes down. Just now, I tried turning the volume up, pressed the up button once, and the TV volume just rose to 75!

This is a very new issue and only started happening after the last update. I've had this same Roku device, remote, and TV for over 2 years...no issues. I have tried to re-pair the remote and reboot the Roku. The issue still persists.

I also have another identical Samsung TV, identical Roku Streaming Stick+ model, and Roku remote upstairs and the exact same issue is occurring there, too.

Software version: 11.5.0 Build 4235 - last update was 10/26/2022

Model: 3810X Roku Streaming Stick+

Serial: YH004Y292207

Device ID: C13974292207

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
donb
Roku Guru

@ghouston You are experiencing the same exact issue.  The worst part is when the volume blasts unexpectedly.

0 Kudos
ghouston
Binge Watcher

@donbYeah! It's super terrible. If this Roku device pops my TV's speakers, Roku will be getting a bill from me for a new TV.

@RokuDanny-Ris there any update on where the development team is with a fix for this? This isn't just a minor bug/inconvenience. It's potentially destructive to customer devices/TV speakers. My volume randomly rose to the maximum volume again last night because the Roku remote told it to; but my single button press on the remote did not instruct the remote to do that.

I work in software development, so this is about as bad as a bug/defect gets.

0 Kudos
donb
Roku Guru

@ghouston 

So, are you using an RC795 voice remote pro as well?

0 Kudos
ghouston
Binge Watcher

Mine is the RC-MC1 voice remote

0 Kudos
donb
Roku Guru

@ghouston 

That's interesting. 

I am unable to reproduce the issue using my old RC-150 voice remote, but I can easily reproduce using my RC-795 voice remote pro.  All I have to do is adjust the volume right after I start a video on the Roku | Media Player.   If I adjust the volume after that, it does not repeat often but sometimes out of the blue in the middle of the video it does.

My Sony TV has a front panel LED that blinks whenever the remote sends it an IR command.  If I start a video, and attempt to adjust the volume, and I see the LED did not blink, I can tell it did not adjust the volume, and then I wait and see the LED repeatedly blinking and I am not adjusting anything.  I then have to quickly press a remote button before my TV blasts.

I have had the issue occur while using Prime Video, NetFlix, YouTube, and Roku | Media Player apps to watch certain videos.  There are some videos it does not occur on but most videos it does.  I just have to be ready on the draw to stop it from blasting.

0 Kudos
ghouston
Binge Watcher

So, I have two of these remotes (one upstairs and one downstairs - same model) and they both do it. It happens for me when watching Hulu Live TV, Netflix, Prime, AppleTV, and Disney+. It doesn't seem to matter what Roku channel I am on.

I also tried using my Samsung TV remote for a couple days and this volume jump does not occur when using the Samsung TV remote while watching any of the above channels on the Roku.

I've also noticed that mute function acts in a similar "intermittent" way like the volume does. Sometimes, like the volume, I will press the mute button on the Roku remote and it will mute > unmute > mute several times on its own.

And just to cap this off, this only began after the latest update. I've had these remotes since they were released basically and never had this issue. April 17th, 2021 is when I ordered them. I just looked at the order email and it says the model of these remotes are "RCS01R" but that's not what it says on the remote itself.

0 Kudos
donb
Roku Guru

Confirmed.  It also started for me after the 11.5 update.  Prior to that, all was well.  I even purchased a brand-new RC795 and it exhibited the same issue.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@ghouston

Thanks for the follow up and providing us with your device information.

Please be aware that we have passed along your concerns and details to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Once more information is available, I'll be sure to update this Community thread.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos