Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CalebPalma

Not working Roku or app Help me out

Cannot use my app to control my roku and my remote doesn’t work. my wifi is just fine and the roku is connected to it also the remote has perfect AAA batteries but will not work i’m unsure of what the problem is 

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Not working Roku or app Help me out

@CalebPalma 

Ensure your phone (with the Roku app) is connected to your WiFi network and isn't using cellular connection. If an iPhone, ensure WiFi Assist is not on.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

I will also add to be sure your using the official Roku Remote app. Is the an Android or an iPhone?

0 Kudos
atc98092

@CalebPalma You need to specify the model number of your Roku. Since it has AAA batteries, that likely means you have an IR remote. The remote has to have a clear line of sight to the Roku to work, so nothing blocking the front of the Roku. 

As to the app, both the phone and the Roku must be connected to the same private network, and the WiFi on the network cannot have any security feature enabled that blocks connected devices from seeing other connected devices on the network. If your router/modem is controlled by your ISP, it's possible they turned such a setting on without your knowledge.

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

@atc98092  Just cause the remote uses batteries doesn’t mean it’s IR. All 3 of my Streaming Stick+ and my Ultra are WiFi remotes with batteries 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@TrooperDada326 

Generally speaking, IR remotes user AAA and WiFi Direct remotes use AA. @atc98092 specified AAA batteries, not just batteries.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

atc98092

Size matters... 😄

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

@DBDukes  Learn something new every day 👍🏻

0 Kudos