Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rgwhitaker
Streaming Star

Not Connected and/or Remote Not Working

I've had my Roku streaming stick since 2018/19 with, in general, no problems until now.

Suddenly, within the past few days especially, I either turn the TV on (not a Roku TV), get to the Home screen, and a "Not connected" message appears in the upper right-hand corner instead of the time.

Sometimes turning the TV off and back on helps. 

Also, my remote suddenly and intermittently will no longer function.

Also, things can sometimes be working just fine, and in the middle of watching a show, the TV will just go black, indicating Roku has lost connection with the internet. Sometimes in those instances a message will appear at the bottom of the screen indicating that internet connection has been lost. I then have to turn the TV off, then back on.

For example, a few minutes ago I was watching TV and everything was fine: there was internet connection, the remote was working fine, then suddenly the TV just went black. I turned the TV off, then back on, the Roku Home screen appeared, and now the Roku remote no longer works.

The remote is fairly new, I got this new one last December and it's been working fine, and yes, I put new batteries in this past weekend.

I've rebooted the router, and am not doing that anymore--it's doesn't solve anything.

What IS the issue? Everything has been fine and now suddenly the Roku will lose internet connection or the remote will suddenly no longer function, or both.

And yes, my internet connection is fine. There's no issue with the internet on my laptop. In fact, yesterday when this issue occurred on my Roku, I had to watch the program on my laptop and had no problem.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Not Connected and/or Remote Not Working

Sounds like the long-range wireless receiver built into the usb is going bad. It is what receives both internet and wifi remote commands. The Roku Stick itself doesn't receive those signals. Make sure it's seated properly into the Stick and the usb extender. This is the Roku 3810 stick plus? 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.