Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
itorres008
Channel Surfer

Re: Looking for Windows Remote Control App that directs audio to PC to listen privately on headphone

Windows Phone Link works on Windows 10. I have been using it for years. They have added some functionality but I doubt it would make it not work on W10 (I've upgraded to W11 2 months ago). W10 and W11 are basically the same product only W11 has different GUI improvements. Under the hood, the version is still 10.xxxx. You should try it if the phone supports the remote control from the PC. Anyway, you should still have almost all Phone Link functionality.

The reason I can't use it to control the phone is the phone must support it. (more in my previous reply). 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Looking for Windows Remote Control App that directs audio to PC to listen privately on headphone

@itorres008 wrote:

W10 and W11 are basically the same product only W11 has different GUI improvements. Under the hood, the version is still 10.xxxx.

No, there's much more to Windows 11 than a GUI refresh. If it were as you say there wouldn't be any issue installing Windows 11 on a W10 computer. But there are significant changes to the core OS that doesn't allow it to be installed on computers that are lacking some specific features. I can't install W11 on any of my existing W10 computers because of that. 

Yes, I know there are hacks that bypass the hardware checking, but you then lose some of the security improvements of the new OS. 

As to the Windows 11 requirement for the app, I'm simply quoting what the app says in the iTunes store. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
itorres008
Channel Surfer

Yes, on Samsung, and only if you have certain more recent models. My A21S c.2021, runs Phone Link but cannot support remote control from the PC. 😞
However, if this scrcpy works as advertised it would be useful for other things. Maybe if the audio sync is good enough one could start the video stream on the phone, beam the audio to the PC and listen on the PC headphones. My objective is the listening on the PC headphones, and having to input some commands on the phone is tolerable at this point.

I'll check to see if there are some demos.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
itorres008
Channel Surfer

Well, there are some hardware requirements:

• UEFI firmware
  • Secure Boot capable system
  • Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0 (This is a security chip on your motherboard)

I wouldn't consider it much more, although that is subjective. TPM is usually the deal breaker. But, for the purposes of running Phone Link the program should run fine on W10, which is what we were discussing. I was using it on W10 until two months ago.

0 Kudos
kclantern1984
Binge Watcher

Can you plug your phone into your computer? I have to in order to run scrcpy properly. If you do, I suggest opening it with a batch file with the following commands:

scrcpy  --shortcut-mod=lalt,ralt  --tcpip  -d  --audio-output=200  --audio-output-buffer=25

If you don't include the -d while the phone is plugged in, the program will barf at you, saying it detects two devices and can't mirror them both. But if you don't plug in, the program will shut down when the phone goes to sleep. You may need to customize your audio settings too. It didn't work for me "out of the box", but some tweaking got it to work right.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Windows 11 also has some CPU requirements. I have more than one PC with TPM, UEFI and secure boot. Still can't install Win11 because the CPU isn't listed. And it's not a low powered CPU but a mid-range i5. 

EDIT: I just checked Phone Link on my Windows 10 PC. It says for iPhone Windows 11 is required. So Android only for Windows 10.

Dan

0 Kudos
itorres008
Channel Surfer

Ok. Thanks.

I looked at this demo and it seemed to me well explained. The guy showed connecting through USB and WIFI.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMRruG09X4k 

WIFI would be convenient if we can make it work. I'll look into it and the switches you use. 

0 Kudos
chrisdizzy

I could not get it working with Windows Phone Link.  But it does work with Bluetooth Audio Receiver in the windows store.  It streams the audio from the phone to your PC.  So you use the Roku app on your phone to stream audio to it then use Bluetooth Audio Receiver to stream from your phone to PC.  https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9N9WCLWDQS5J?ocid=pdpshare

0 Kudos
atc98092

@chrisdizzy that's rather a clutzy way of doing it, requiring two different devices. I realize it's one way to make it work, but you're going to be adding additional power drain to the phone. As mentioned previously, if it's an iPhone you must be using Windows 11 for Phone Link to work. 

Dan

0 Kudos
chrisdizzy

It is no different than using phone link, requiring your phone and computer to work.  For me phone link only streams music and won't stream any other audio from my phone to my Windows 11 computer.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.