Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Runlauf
Channel Surfer

Location of green pairing light as a guide to age of remote

Jump to solution

I have two remotes, one with the green pairing light to the left of the power button, and one with the green pairing light below the power button. Does anyone know which is the newer model, if the power light location is a good indicator? The remote with the green light below the power button also has under the battery cover a button at the bottom right, along with a green light indicator on the bottom left. The remote with the power light to the left of the power button does not have this additional button under its battery cover. My problem is that I bought a new streaming stick with remote at Walmart, but now I cannot tell which is the newest remote among my two remotes. The underlying problem is that the remote with the green light to the right of the power button is not reliable with audio up/down and mute/unmute, despite my working multiple times with the remote systems settings, and confirming I have those right. I need to know if the problem remote is the one I just bought.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Location of green pairing light as a guide to age of remote

Jump to solution

You can see pictures of the current voice remotes here:
https://www.roku.com/products/accessories

I'm going to guess the one with the light to the left of the power button is the newer one since all of my voice remotes, which are a few years old, have the light under the power button.  Given that the remote came with, or may have come with, a stick that may complicate the issue since you don't really know how old the stock at Walmart is.  You can also see the model of the remote under Settings->System->Remotes & devices->Remotes->Voice Remote->About.  It doesn't mean anything to me, but may mean something to our resident remote expert @Tivoburkee

A lot of people (me included) have an issue with the TV controls periodically not working.  I don't think it has to do with new vs. old (as I said, mine are old) and I don't think Roku knows what the issue is, but restarting the remote by removing and reinserting a battery (or rebooting it from one of the "secret" menus they don't want us to discuss here) fixes it until the next time it happens.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

You can see pictures of the current voice remotes here:
https://www.roku.com/products/accessories

I'm going to guess the one with the light to the left of the power button is the newer one since all of my voice remotes, which are a few years old, have the light under the power button.  Given that the remote came with, or may have come with, a stick that may complicate the issue since you don't really know how old the stock at Walmart is.  You can also see the model of the remote under Settings->System->Remotes & devices->Remotes->Voice Remote->About.  It doesn't mean anything to me, but may mean something to our resident remote expert @Tivoburkee

A lot of people (me included) have an issue with the TV controls periodically not working.  I don't think it has to do with new vs. old (as I said, mine are old) and I don't think Roku knows what the issue is, but restarting the remote by removing and reinserting a battery (or rebooting it from one of the "secret" menus they don't want us to discuss here) fixes it until the next time it happens.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Runlauf
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have the same guess, which I confirmed later with Roku by giving them the model number. I did not realize beforehand that the remotes have model numbers, but not serial numbers. The sticks have serial numbers. My understanding is that the various sticks can be managed by most or all the remotes, going back some years anyway.

0 Kudos