Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Snakeoil
Roku Guru

Intermittent Remote Issues

I see that there are serveral threads/posts here regarding Roku Remote not working or certain buttons not working. I have 3 new Express 4K units in my home. They were all purchased at the same time back in November. These all suffered the screen freeze problem which the recent software update seems to have fixed. 

But, the remotes for all 3 units exhibit the same problems intermittently. This is the list of issues.

Volume buttons will not work

On/Off button with not work

Right arrow key will not work

Entire remote seems not to work

More often than not, I have my OEM TV remote that will work if I want to change the volume or turn the TV on/off. It seems that if you wait a bit, cannot say how long, the remote will start working again. 

Today, the unit which is right next to my router, so this is NOT a signal issue, would had the On/Off button stop working with the TV and Roku on. I tried other buttons and no response. I hit the HOME button and it went to the home screen and then the right arrow worked and I selected the Spectrum app and it went back to the channel I was watching. Tried to turn off the TV and button still would not work and the right arrow also stopped working. Hit the HOME button and it went to the home screen. I cleared the cache with the 5-1-2-2 button sequence and although the Roku restart screen did not come up as usual, when I hit the On/Off button this time it worked. Not sure if it was the cache clear or just time that made it work again.

There is definitely a bug in these remotes as all 3 of mine do it. It took close to 30 pages of comments for the screen freeze before Roku fixed the problem. Not sure how long it will take to fix this one, if it is fixable.

This is NOT a battery issue! This is NOT a Roku TV issue. This is a Roku streaming device Remote issue.

I'm hoping others with similar remote issues will post here to get some attention from Roku.

25 REPLIES 25
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Intermittent Remote Issues

@Snakoil

Thanks for the post. 

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue, but will need more information. Can you please provide us the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
  • who is your ISP (internet service provider)
  • brand and router you are using
  • wireless frequency you are using as well as current wireless channel that your wireless network is utilizing
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

With more detailed information, we will be able to investigate what you are experiencing.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Snakeoil
Roku Guru

Danny,

You replied to the screen freeze issue and it was eventually solved. Here is the info you requested and a bit more.

I have 3 units. They are all the same model.

Unit 1

Model - 3941 Roku Express 4K+

Serial Number - X0160071KWEU

Device ID - S07P2221KWEU

Software Version/ OS - 11.5.0 Build 4312-CR

Software Update - 12-14-22

Unit 2

Serial Number - X016005X2DYY

Device ID - S07P41CX2DYY

Software Update - 12-19-22

Unit 3

Serial Number - X01600377DS

Device ID - S07P21D377DS

Software Update - 12-21-22

I cannot tell you how to duplicate the problem. Next times it happens I will try to get a Tracker ID for you. But when I had the screen freeze problem I could not get an ID or even a reaction from the Roku by pressing those buttons. And of course, if those buttons are not functioning as a part of this issue, there is zero change of getting an ID.

Thanks,

Rob

GaryJS
Reel Rookie

I have the same problem on my 4K.

Sometimes the volume button works then 2 minutes later it does not, etc. 

Ditched the remote that came with the 4K and bought a remote with actual batteries from Roku website, and that is doing the same thing.

Probably something in the 4K unit itself.

I am throwing the whole Roku thing away and going to Amazon's Firestick

Sandman333
Binge Watcher

I'm about to do the same- ditch the Roku garbage and go with someone who knows how to make a product/software and has some idea of what customer service is.  Ever try to contact Roku support?  There is no support.  It's a joke.

Snakeoil
Roku Guru

I'm relatively new to streaming. I was a cable holdout more out of habit than anything else. Years ago, my younger neighbors got a Roku and said it worked great. They kept telling me to get one. When I decided to stop renting boxes from Spectrum, everyone said to get a Roku. They were cheap and reliable. I suspect that Roku made a good product when they started. But now, they are pushing a volume business model. No direct customer service. Sell as many units as possible at a low price for a small margin and make the money with volume. That model works until somebody makes a better product for the same price and the buying public catch on.

Roku sells a TV now. Given the experience since getting my first Roku back in October, the chance of me buying one of their TVs is zero to none. 

Roku did fix the screen freezing problem with the E4K units. It took about 3 weeks. But they missed that all the other models were suffering from it as well. They just closed the case for the problem. It was 29 pages long. They said the case was only for the E4K in spite of others posting it was happening to other models. 

I think the secret is to be patient, give them the info they request and wait for a fix. I'm hoping that happens with the remotes. I saw other cases open here on remotes, but nobody described the exact problem I was having. So, I started this on in hopes of getting it fixed. Not sure it is the same person, but RokuDanny was involved with the screen freeze problem, and they eventually solved it with a new software download. I have faith in Danny to deliver the bacon on this problem as well. 

0 Kudos
GaryJS
Reel Rookie

My remote problem started back in June or July of 2022.

I had the Ultra model. Not the Ultra LT but the Ultra. The mute button started to switch rapidly from mute to unmute many many times in the few seconds I had wanted to mute the volume. 

So, even though that unit was only 4 or 5 months old I saw the new version was allegedly 4K and did not need conventional batteries. SO I upgraded and gave away the old one in about the middle of November.

This new 4K model worked for about a month or so and then the remote:

- needed me to plug it into the usb cable about every other night to stay charged.

- started to "un-sync" (if that is even a word) from the volume control. To the point I would have to go into the settings 3 or 4 times a day to "set it up" to control the TV 

I had Rokus for about 6 or 8 years prior to this and NEVER had any problems. But I feel that maybe in June or July they had an update or 2 or 3 come through that was bad and have not been able to figure it out yet.

But, momma didn't raise an idiot in me. I paid good money for two units inside of 7 months. The second one I bought a standard remote with actual batteries. Only to find nothing helps. So, my money is hard enough to come by and I am tired of sending it to Roku. 😤

I picked up the Amazon Firestick 4k just before Christmas, and get a LOT more options using that than I had with Roku. And guess what? It actually still works and does what it is supposed to! 👍

Snakeoil
Roku Guru

For clarity purposes. Although I assume the nameplate data from my units already told Roku this bit of info. My remotes are not rechargeable. They use standard AAA batteries.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi Community users,

In addition to providing the information that we have requested, it's important that you provide a Tracker ID when you see the issue occur (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID).

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Snakeoil
Roku Guru

Okay, I will try. But if the buttons are not working, chances are I won't be able to get your code for you.

regards,

Rob