Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stopit
Binge Watcher

Re: How to turn OFF "control my tv"

Now that you mention it, what may have had something to do with the problem is that when I first tried to set up the remote it kept asking if I heard music, and I never heard music. I finally just ignored it and finished setting it up anyway. Maybe somehow it had turned off the tv's speaker setting at the start, and by my (not realizing it and) ignoring that, it programmed that as the default state?? I'm just guessing here.

I think I worked it out (see my other posts) but if the problem returns, that might be a useful suggestion. I could set it up for our other tv, to re-set the remote. Honestly, having it not control the sound or the on-off function is what I was trying to accomplish, anyway!

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@stopit-

You have mentioned a "turn off after 20 minutes of inactivity" option several times.  I've never seen this, but I don't have an Express 4K and none of my devices have yet received the current update to Roku operating software 10.5.

What is the menu path to find this setting?

What Roku software version do you have? (It is listed under Settings..System..About)

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
stopit
Binge Watcher

Yeah, apparently it's a new feature starting with the Roku 4. (I just looked it up, it isn't on any of the earlier models... https://www.technipages.com/roku-turn-off. This tech note says 30 minutes but the default was 20 on mine). Auto off is evidently set as the default mode.

I don't know why that would have affected the tv speakers or the tv on-off, though, unless something else went awry in the set-up. I assume it's typically benign.

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@stopit-

The article you sited says on the Roku 4 the inacivity shut down was accessed via menu path Settings > System > Power.  As far as I know, the Roku 4 is the only Roku device (as opposed to Roku TVs) that ever had the capability to be turned off, other than unplugging them from power.  There is no Power option in the System submenu on any of my Roku devices, current or past, it's there only on my Roku TV that CAN be turned off.

As I said, I have no Express 4K to check.  Can you confirm "turn off after 20 minutes of inactivity" IS present in your Express 4K, not just on the Roku 4.?  

Has the Settings > System > Power menu path been added to the Express 4K?  If so, does it lead to that inactivity timer?

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

0 Kudos
stopit
Binge Watcher

I've said it like a half dozen times by now. Do you think I'm just making it up to mess with you for some reason? If you don't want to believe me, don't.

0 Kudos
makaiguy

You repeatedly said it was THERE, but failed to confirm the menu path to get there so that anyone else could look for it, or what Roku operating software version you were running.

But I just saw confirmation today over on Reddit where someone posted the Settings > System > Power menu item was added for Roku devices in Roku software release 10.5.

stopit
Binge Watcher

Mea culpa. I didn't realize it was my responsibility. I have no idea when this option was added or even what version of the software it's running. The computer is nowhere near the Roku device so it didn't seem worthwhile to go run to the Roku and go through the menu options to track an exact pathway. I presumed anyone who has the Express 4K would be able to find it on their own if they needed to. Lazy me. Thanks for looking out for others who may not have this solution available to them, should they have the same bizarre problem. Thank goodness someone on Reddit confirmed it so I know I didn't imagine it.

0 Kudos

I had the same problem. I had to setup a "fake" TV as a link to the Roku. Here's how: In the Roku go to Settings>Remote & Devices>Remote>Choose Voice Remote>set up Remote for tv: then follow the on screen prompts BUT instead of choosing your brand (mine was an LG) of  TV, choose a different brand (I choose Zenith). Answer yes you heard the music.

Now your Power, Mute and volume buttons on the Roku remote will be in active.

Gina1949

@BobonTampaBay- This worked!  I have a Sony TV and renamed it LG.  It also helps knowing that the 'power' and 'volume' buttons on the Roku remote is NOT for Roku, these buttons control the TV.  ROKU does not turn off unless you unplug it.