Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to remove the back of my remote to replace batteries

I did it! Here’s a tip. Take a piece of strong tape (I used painter’s tape). Double it so both sides are sticky. Put the tape on the three lines mentioned above. Then, Press down kn the tape/three lines (shown in other posts). Continue to push  as you pull it down.

Once I had it partway down, I gently used a knife to completely remove it. 

I hope this helps someone!

boogernose
Roku Guru

use your teeth.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
Zeke007
Channel Surfer

The back of the case of my old remote is designed in the exact same way as the new one I just got. Just like the OP's photo. If I gently press the three lines in the direction of the base on my old remote, the battery cover opens easily and instantly. If I put one thumb over the other on my new remote and use all my force to move the battery cover toward the base, the cover doesn't move and I'm pretty sure I've injured one of my thumbs.

Obviously, Roku machine tooled their remote battery covers too tightly. My new remote came with my new Express+, which I now cannot set up and use. But I'm more concerned about my thumb. Where can I send my doctor's bills for Roku's reimbursement? 

0 Kudos
Zeke007
Channel Surfer

Thank you, NancyDWrites!

A bit of duct tape worked for me, on the third try. I didn't need to use a knife either. 

Z

C_I
Roku Guru

@BethanyRogers75 wrote:

This sounds like the world's dumbest question , but I absolutely cannot figure out how to remove the back of my remote to replace the batteries.  

Here's a google doc containing pictures of the front and back of my specific remote. (if you can't directly click it, you can copy and paste that link in any web browser and it should take you to the doc).   https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BvgaxGsHI7-NV3SX4yF8N4ik2somyo3o6iikG5ZpU-4/edit?usp=sharing

I scratched up the back trying to get it off.  Seems like i should be able to press down on those three ridges and slide off the case, right? But it won't budge! I also have tried looking for any buttons i can dispense and don't see any.  It seems like it's screwed in , or all one piece, but there are no visible screws. 

I'm with you there. I've had to do that on a few occasions. The back of the remote is difficult to remove. This one thing that Roku could make as an improvement  , make the battery compartment easier to open, and to insert new batteries. 

Oldcorvus12
Reel Rookie

I got the low battery warning on my TV screen and tried to open the back with no luck plus the TV kept trying to shut off or the volume would go way up or down because of the seemingly glued shut panel. I followed advice I found online and still couldn't open it. The little cloth tab at the bottom got me thinking that it must serve a purpose. I took the remote into another room and used a metal nail file stuck into the little cloth tab, pushed down on the 3 lines on the battery access panel and pulled on the tab with the file running through it. It finally opened! Maybe even a chop stick run the tab would work too.

0 Kudos
C_I
Roku Guru

@Oldcorvus12 wrote:

I got the low battery warning on my TV screen and tried to open the back with no luck plus the TV kept trying to shut off or the volume would go way up or down because of the seemingly glued shut panel. I followed advice I found online and still couldn't open it. The little cloth tab at the bottom got me thinking that it must serve a purpose. I took the remote into another room and used a metal nail file stuck into the little cloth tab, pushed down on the 3 lines on the battery access panel and pulled on the tab with the file running through it. It finally opened! Maybe even a chop stick run the tab would work too.

I can attest that this is a problem. It's even hard to get the batteries out of the battery compartment. Just press down on the down arrows on the back and slide the back down and it should open., 

boogernose
Roku Guru

I think the first time its a little stiff.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
BallerMike

I'm having the same problem. Ready to quit on Roku. 

Kenzo1

I did exactly what you said and I worked. You’re some kind of wizard!! Thank you I was going crazy here trying to open this.