Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ZA
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku remote draining battery in 2 days

Jump to solution

I have been experiencing this as well. Contacted Roku and to their credit they did send a replacement but the battery drain is still massive. We don’t use headphones. I’ll see if I can update the firmware. 

ZA
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Mime is a streaming stick + SW 9.4.0, build 4200. Remote is model RC399 rtn.4090. Still drains exceptionally fast. No device updates since December. Makes me think it’s software related based on other reports but who knows. I’m out a few bucks every few weeks for batteries so it doesn’t seem like a value proposition to have a new Roku at this time. 

0 Kudos
pennsy
Channel Surfer

Re: Streaming Stick+ 3810X Remote Battery Drain

Jump to solution

If the Roku is plugged into the wall and never powers off, will it continue to use data after the TV is turned off? Some people plug their unit into power strips that turn off other devices when the TV goes off to save data.

0 Kudos
SRQtech
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@pennsy wrote:

If the Roku is plugged into the wall and never powers off, will it continue to use data after the TV is turned off? Some people plug their unit into power strips that turn off other devices when the TV goes off to save data.

If you leave your Roku streaming something when you turn the TV off, then it will continue to use data. Supposedly, if you return your Roku to the home screen before turning your TV off, it will not continue to use data or at most use very little data if it needs to update itself or any of the apps.

0 Kudos
SRQtech
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I'm not accusing Roku of any nefarious activities, but I wonder if leaving the Roku stick powered on all the time has any benefit for the Roku company versus powering the stick down when it's not being used. If so, this would explain why they won't fix the battery drain problem.

Also, when Roku told me I needed to leave my stick powered on to avoid the remote battery drain issue, I asked them if there was a way to disable the microphone in the remote. They said no. Hmmm! I'd certainly feel more comfortable about leaving my stick powered on all the time if I could at least disable the microphone if not the entire remote.

0 Kudos
dontcallmeshirl
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Roku doesn't just track usage on your roku device, it also tracks other usage on your network. It is 100% in their best interest to have their unit always on...if it wasn't there would be an easy opt out setting or toggle which there is not. Best practice is to setup a secondary network for devices like Roku that you don't want sniffing around the rest of your network, or get a pihole and try and cutoff the devices from phoning home with the collected data.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@ZA

Thanks for the post and letting us know about the remote battery drain issue you are experiencing with your Streaming Stick+ (3810). Our engineering team has been investigating this issue closely and once more information is available I'll be sure to let the Community know.

In the meantime, if you are powering your Streaming Stick through the USB port on your TV, we would recommend that you power your Roku device through a wall outlet to see if that helps the issue you are experiencing.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Remote Control Devices Drain Batteries Fast

Jump to solution

I have bought three Roku Streaming Stick+ devices. From a streaming standpoint, they work fairly well. However, the remote control devices "eat" (drain) batteries quickly. Rarely do I get more than 3 or 4 days of use of the remote with fresh batteries before the batteries have to replaced again. I have contacted Roku service support multiple times, and each time I have to explain the problem over again. Bottom line - their streaming devices are easy to set up and work well, but their remote controls and their service and support are simply terrible. Unless you own stock in a battery manufacturer, you might want to consider using another type of streaming device.

0 Kudos
ZA
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I appreciate the response Danny. Unfortunately due to our wall mounted set up plugging in to the wall is not a possibility. 

0 Kudos
BellaWA

Re: Roku streaming stick+ draining batteries

Jump to solution

Will Roku replace the obviously defective remotes?

0 Kudos