Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SRQtech
Streaming Star

Re: Roku streaming stick+ draining batteries

Jump to solution

As I see it, the problem is with the remote constantly wanting to be paired with the stick. That's fine as long as the stick remains powered on because once it pairs, the quick battery drain stops. But when the stick is powered off, the remote keeps trying to pair with it and that just drains the batteries.

Of course, you can take the batteries out of the remote each time to prevent this, but that's a real hassle. 

Instead, Roku should create a replacement remote that doesn't constantly try to pair with the stick. You might have to periodically push the pair button if the stick gets powered off, but I think most people would prefer that to constantly feeding batteries to the remote.

0 Kudos
Kalikazam
Channel Surfer

Re: Streaming Stick+ 3810X Remote Battery Drain

Jump to solution

@dontcallmeshirl wrote:

This has been going on for a long time now with the sticks. You can search the forums and rest of the internet and see that. I see no reason to believe this will ever get sorted (hope I'm wrong here.)

Best to just leave honest product reviews from wherever you purchased it from to warn other unsuspecting consumers.

Agreed this has been going on for years. I am done I am going to rip a clip of .3006 through my Roku devices and be done with these pathetic devices once and for all. The customer support is even more pathetic. Their answer is to send me emails asking me to help them figure out why the remotes are dying by troubleshooting as if i am some Roku employee. When they don't ask me to do their job for them they send me 1 replacement remote with no batteries. Roku your customer support and engineers are a disgrace.

Carenonks

Jump to solution

I bought 2 new Roku Streaming Stick Plus devices for Christmas. I am having the same issue with one of my Streaming Stick Plus remotes. We are changing the batteries every other day even when it’s not being used. The other remote works perfectly and rarely needs new batteries. They are both hooked up the same. The remote is defective and I’ve spent in batteries what I paid for the device. I need a new remote. How do I get a replacement?

0 Kudos
Golf1965
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Id like to fix this for ROKU...Just replace every poorly thought out "AnyWhere" remote with a traditional remote that came with earlier Gen Roku.

Problem solved...

0 Kudos
Golf1965
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

A new remote will not fix the problem and the only way you can stop the battery drain is to never let the ROKU power turn off. So it will have to be plugged into the wall socket and NOT your TV USB power. The TV USB power will turn the ROKU off when you power down the tV and thats when the battery issue starts.

Jakeblue
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

That isn’t true. My Roku has always been powered by a wall socket and never by usb and I’ve also kept my tv on either playing stuff for my animals or just on the main page playing nothing and it will STILL drain batteries. I’ve been reduced to using the Roku remote app on my phone and came to the conclusion the actual remote is JUNK. Roku is no help either. 

0 Kudos
Golf1965
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Its true for some people...Just not your situation. I was going through batteries in a week on mine and since changing to wall socket still at 100% after a week. 

Roku still needs to make this right but sending out the very same remote to people with this issue is NOT a fix. Thats the truth!

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thank you for letting us know about the remote battery drain issue you are experiencing.

Our engineering team has been investigating this issue closely, however, we would like to request your assistance to further identify the cause of the problem.

If the USB Cable from your Streaming Stick is currently connected to the USB port on your TV, we would like to request that you connect the USB cable directly to a wall outlet or power strip via the USB power adapter that was included with your device. This will help us in diagnosing the issue further. Once you have connected your USB cable connected to the Streaming Stick to a wall outlet or power strip, we would like to ask that you perform the below steps:

1.    Remove the batteries from your remote that is experiencing this issue

2.    Restart your Roku Streaming Stick by unplugging the device from the USB power connection for 10 seconds before plugging it back in

3.    After the Roku Home Screen appears again, reinsert the batteries and continue usage as normal

4.    Let us know if you continue to see the issue and if so, the frequency at which it occurs

Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos
yawitz
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Wilt all due respect, this continues to sound like a stalling tactic. The reports aren't new, or novel, and it should be pretty straightforward for Roku engineering to setup and test the configuration in question. You don't need us to do that for you.

Then, let's say that after performing the steps you describe, the battery drain issue goes away. (And in my case, that seems to be true.) Then what? It is still a temporary workaround for many of us.

So please, be straight with us. Have you or have you not been able to reproduce the problem in your lab? If so, let us know. The workaround may be fine for some on this thread, but does not put the issue to bed. It's also OK to list the workaround in a FAQ for those that are OK with that solution. Otherwise, could you acknowledge the problem and an ETA for a solution, without asking everyone to jump through hoops to report something you probably already know?

Golf1965
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Streaming stick 3810x remote draining battery in 5 days

Jump to solution

It's draining because it's constantly searching for the Roku when it's switched off. It would drain a car battery in a week doing that 24/7