Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Steve37
Reel Rookie

Re: Headphone jack failed on new Roku Voice Remote Pro

The fact of the matter is that the jack is there, so it should work.  If it doesn't work, they shouldn't include it.  Whether it's "old school" or not, your comment is not helpful.

Jaxxon

The same thing happened to my remote. I unpaired it and paired it and it worked.

0 Kudos
Skulls19
Reel Rookie

The reset didn’t work for me. Roku was nice and replaced it for free. 

0 Kudos
Steve37
Reel Rookie

I went through that same process.  They sent me a replacement, and it has the same issue.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @Steve37,

Thanks for your post. 

It is tough to go through the same issue with a replacement product. We're here to help. If you are still experiencing intermittent connectivity or hear audio issues, learn how to solve problems with private listening.

Keep us posted on how it goes. 

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Steve37
Reel Rookie

Perhaps some additional details are in order:

• When I initially pair the Voice Remote Pro, private listening works fine
  • After 2-4 days, when I plug in the headphones, nothing happens: I don't get the volume display that usually comes up in the upper-right corner of the screen and the audio continues to play through the TV as if nothing was plugged in
  • The Voice Remote Pro continues to work fine for all other functions
  • Unplugging and replugging the earbuds into the Voice Remote Pro does not correct the problem
  • If I immediately plug the same pair of earbuds into the original AA battery-powered remote that came with the Roku, the audio plays fine
  • If I restart the Roku through the system menu, the audio starts playing through the Voice Remote Pro afterward, and the cycle repeats
  • I have never used the Roku mobile app on my phone for private listening, and in fact seldom run the Roku mobile app for any purpose
  • The original remote never had this problem, admittedly being the only remote paired with the Roku

What I can conclude from this:

• The problem is not with the Roku
  • The problem is not with the earbuds
  • The problem is not with my phone or the mobile app
  • The problem is not with wireless interference, because the original remote works fine even while the Voice Remote Pro does not work for private listening
  • The problem lies either in how I am using the Voice Remote Pro, or the design of the Voice Remote Pro and how it interacts with the Roku

My theory, which I am testing now, is that perhaps the original remote is somehow becoming "primary" and therefore is the only remote for which private listening will work after some point, even though I am controlling the Roku with the Voice Remote Pro.  To test this, I've unpaired the original remote and removed the batteries to ensure it doesn't re-pair itself through someone pushing one of the buttons accidentally.

We'll see how it goes.  Seems like a long-shot.

0 Kudos