Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbodnar
Channel Surfer

Harmony 650 and Roku remote shortcut buttons

Jump to solution

I have a Logitech Harmony 650 universal remote. On my Roku Ultra remote I set the shortcut 1 button to launch YouTube TV. I set the shortcut 2 button to turn on closed captions. I trained the Harmony 650 for these buttons (point the Roku remote at the Harmony and press each button). When I use the Harmony 650 to activate these shortcuts I get a message on my tv via the Roku that something has gone wrong and I should try again later. 

The Harmony remote is IR. I know the Roku remote is both IR and RF. Can the Roku only understand the shortcut buttons if they are RF?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Harmony 650 and Roku remote shortcut buttons

Jump to solution

The ultra remote is RF for Roku commands, its only IR for tv commends. At one time there was IR commands for 1 & 2 keys, but after an update no more. Even if you unplug the Roku power which changes the Ultra Roku commands to IR, the 1 & 2 keys IR commands are useless on Roku's. Sorry. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

The ultra remote is RF for Roku commands, its only IR for tv commends. At one time there was IR commands for 1 & 2 keys, but after an update no more. Even if you unplug the Roku power which changes the Ultra Roku commands to IR, the 1 & 2 keys IR commands are useless on Roku's. Sorry. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
jbodnar
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you for the response and that is what I was afraid of.

It's sad that Roku has not created their own universal remote. I'd pay $100 for one that worked like my Harmony and supported the Roku via RF. But maybe I'm a dying breed and most people are content with a smart TV and possibly a sound bar.

0 Kudos