Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AvCordCut435
Binge Watcher

HDMI CEC Audio stopped working - will newer models have this same issue?

I have an "older" ROKU Streaming Stick+ and about two weeks ago the HDMI CEC audio controls stopped working and now I have to use two remotes. Someone on the forums suggested this was due to a recent software update that ROKU pushed out and removing the HDMI CEC control due to a space issue with the streaming stick.

Does anyone know if a newer ROKU (assuming the latest software updates installed on it) would have this same issue too?

While I loathe the idea that they removed an incredibly important feature, I'd be willing to buy a Streaming Stick 4k+ or an Ultra LT (or something similar) if I could go back to controlling the volume from my ROKU remote.

I know I could always order one and try it, then return it if the HDMI CEC audio controls are still broken but hoping to get an idea from the community on if its likely the HDMI CEC will work or if I'd likely just be returning the new one.

0 Kudos
29 REPLIES 29
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: HDMI CEC Audio stopped working - will newer models have this same issue?

How did you know you were controlling your device by Roku hdmi-cec? And not the Tv's cec commands? Did the volume stop working when you unplugged the hdmi cable from the Roku device? What told you it was cec and not IR in the first place? 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
AvCordCut435
Binge Watcher

I am using a Yamaha A/V surround sound receiver and the ROKU does not support IR for the device. I also had to specifically enable HDMI CEC on my receiver before the volume controls started working when I initially got my ROKU.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

What model of Roku is it, and model number of the Roku remote? If it's so old that it doesn't have IR on board, where the volume keys weren't meant to control tv's & audio devices initially but only the headphone jack on the remote. Only later an upgrade allowed it to control devices by cec. I need to know because there is way to switch from IR to cec, but those older remotes and devices it won't work. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
AvCordCut435
Binge Watcher

My streaming stick is the ROKU Streaming Stick+ 3810X running the 11.5.0 build 4235-50 software version. The remote is a "Voice Remote" - RC399 with a firmware version of rtn.4182. It does have IR on the remote but not for A/V receivers.

Also, just as an FYI, I can change the HDMI input on my receiver and hit "any key" to have it switch back to the correct HDMI for the ROKU too so I don't think I am having an issue with my receiver and the HDMI CEC configuration on the receiver.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

See PM.

Edmund

0 Kudos
AvCordCut435
Binge Watcher

THANK YOU TIMES A MILLION!!!! 

0 Kudos
deadmaulwalking
Reel Rookie

It looks like there was a solution that worked - can it be shared here or no? I've got an Ultra that stopped working with CEC after 11.5 and nothing I do gets it back.

I'm in a similar setup (Roku > A/V Receiver > TV) if it matters. 

Thank you!

0 Kudos
AvCordCut435
Binge Watcher

Sent you a PM with a copy of the PM sent to my that solved my issue

deadmaulwalking
Reel Rookie

Well thank you both! That worked. Freaking awesome.