Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Enhanced remote lost connection when tv goes to sleep

Jump to solution

@frankr2994 

Keep the network setup that works for you.  It appears you know and understand about the 5ghz issue/DFS incompatibility with Roku.

As such, you are limited to the 2.4ghz band.  Basically, you will be limited to changing the wireless channels (IT tech, so you know 1, 6, or 11 preferred).  Only other way to reduce interference is to lower the channel width/bandwidth to 20mhz.

As long as you have seperate SSIDs and are sure that the device is not automatically switching bands on you causing to lose connection due to the DFS setting on the 5ghz, you should be ok.

Re: the remote issue...

As long as you are sure you successfully paired the Voice/Enhanced Remote to your RokuTV, you can actually try Enabling Fast Start option on the RokuTV if you haven't already.  With this option enabled, you can then use (or should be able to use) the microphone/voice control to turn on the TV by saying "TV on" or "power on".  This will at least give you an alternate way to turn on the RokuTV.  

Why the remote is having difficulty waking up, hard to say.  If you have a cable ISP, try using the b/g/n protocol rather than g/n or n if you are currently set to that. (eliminates a known issue).

To enable Fast Start on the RokuTV to try the above workaround (Settings/System/Power/Fast TV Start/Click to Enable).

-----

Feel free to post back with an update or if still having issues.  Perhaps @Tivoburkee or the others can offer a suggestion if they have seen this behavior before.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
frankr2994
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Tv has been set to fast start since the beginning. I've never tried using voice before on the remote. The feature didn't work to my expectations so ya. I'll give that a shot. What I can tell you is when this started happening I would use my phone app to turn on the tv which would work fine. After that my remote would still not work until I actually used the infrared on the remote then it would "sync" back up and be fine. My update for today would be that setting my remote to keep awake so far has worked. Got up this morning and had no problem turning the tv on and using the remote. Could you elaborate on the issue using the N protocol with 2.4ghz? I was unaware of an issue there. The rokus in the house are the only thing on 2.4ghz now and I obviously don't need more than a 25mbps connection for 4k streaming.

0 Kudos
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@frankr2994  Keeping your remote awake will also drain your batteries. I imagine you have your sound bar bolted to the back of your TV. You could try moving the soundbar down. Try putting the soundbar under the IR sensor instead of blocking it. That worked for me. So your Soundbar blocks your IR remote and your home network setup is causing your Roku TV and remote not to work properly 

0 Kudos
frankr2994
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I cannot unblock the sensor. The tv sits above a mantle. There is approximately 1/2" clearance top and bottom as I have the largest tv that can fit there (55"). The sound bar sits on the mantle and cannot be moved anywhere. I also said the tv is up high. The mantle blocks view from the couch without standing up and actually holding the remote at about eye level. So as you can see I have never relied on using infrared in the 2 years I've had the tv. The first few days we owned it sucked and I quickly had an enhanced remote on order. If you think you have no interference with your internet it's because you've never cared to check. Wifi auto negotiates connection speed based on signal strength and quality. That's why you don't see drops. My workstation computer on a crowded channel will work fine but show a connection speed in the 200s. Moving the channel to a clean dfs channel increased connection speed into the 600s. Huge difference but for typical web browsing or streaming videos you would NEVER notice anything. I regularly download files over 100GB so it matters to me. Also yes I realize that what I just did will drain my batteries faster. Right now I'm willing to see what kind of difference that is.

0 Kudos
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I have a family of 4. That means 4 laptops, 4 smartphones, PS5, 2 smart thermostats, 2 Echo Dots, 4 Gosund smart plugs, 4 Roku’s (2 TV’s/ 2 Sticks), downloading 50-100GB PS5 games, 4K streaming, live tv streaming, music streaming and a Ring security system. All backed up by a 500 Mbps cable internet. No interference. No drops in speed. No packet loss. My son can be on his PS5, my daughter streaming music, my wife working from home and me watching Netflix in 4K and speed tests still hover around 400 Mbps with all that going on. 

0 Kudos
frankr2994
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Your right I'm wrong sorry for doubting. Still not going to change my wifi network unless I find that I absolutely need to do sorry our pissing match didn't go anywhere.

0 Kudos
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@frankr2994  Ok then I guess your issues with Roku will continue. Take care

0 Kudos
frankr2994
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Update for anyone coming across this. The keep awake secret setting for the remote has worked perfectly. Remote has not dropped out once since. Battery percent has stayed at 89 percent since turning making the change so nothing noticable there. I did not change anything with my wifi network.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.