Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
snowyday
Channel Surfer

Emerson TV 32" led, lcd, hdtv & Roku express+ 4k no volume or on/off help pls

Help please.

Emerson TV Model #LF320EMA, 32" led, lcd, hdtv. Using roku express 4k+. Unable to use Roku remote for volume up or down. Also unable to turn tv on or off with Roku remote.  Using TV remote to adjust volume or turn tv on or off. 

Unable to enter Emerson name on TV Brand name. Have tried Sylvania, phillips, magnavox, sanyo, seiki, tcl, funai to no available.

Suggestions please. 

We have 2 other roku express 4k+  remotes on TVs that work wonderfully!

0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Emerson TV 32" led, lcd, hdtv & Roku express+ 4k no volume or on/off help pls

@snowyday 

Gotta ask this. When you first set up the Roku and paired the remote to the Roku, did you try to use the remote on the TV? Or did you go to the TV setup without trying it?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
renojim

Re: Emerson TV 32" led, lcd, hdtv & Roku express+ 4k no volume or on/off help pls

@snowyday, when you search for a TV brand does it display no results no matter what brand you enter?

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
snowyday
Channel Surfer

HI, that is correct. I have tried 9 TV  different Brand names No luck. Rocku says to check spelling. I do and try again.   No results.  Usually type 2 or 3 letters. Roku says no search results. I do finish spelling out brand anyway. 

All suggestions appreciated.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
renojim

A lot of people are having that problem.  It seems to be some kind of connection issue to Roku's servers, but it only seems to affect the set up of the remote for TV control.  What works for a lot of people is to use your cell phone's hotspot, if possible, and connect your Roku to it just to get through the TV control setup.  It's probably best to make sure your phone's hotspot is set to the 2.4GHz band and a channel from 1 to 11 (although your Express 4k+ should also work on 5GHz).  Once you get the remote configured you can switch back to your regular Wi-Fi.

makaiguy

@snowyday-

Some people with this problem have reported success by linking to a different wifi network, like a wifi hot-spot, and setting the remote up for the tv.  Once set up you can return to your normal home network.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
snowyday
Channel Surfer

thank you, when a younger family is visiting I will ask them to try this method. I dont know how to do this.

Did I mention roku remote does change channels. Also can use voice commands.

0 Kudos
snowyday
Channel Surfer

thank you. I will have a younger family members check when they visit. I do not know anything about hotspot.

Did I also mention roku remote doesg roku remote. change channels. Also voice command.

I had this roku express hooked up ro a tv day before old TV went out.  Worked just fine. Hmmm. Only was using roku remote to power on and off, volume control up and down.Everything by roku remote only.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Another remedy that has helped others is to do factory reset of the Roku.

Edmund

0 Kudos
makaiguy

@snowyday wrote:

Did I mention roku remote does change channels. Also can use voice commands.

Yes, and that makes perfect sense.  To help you make some sense of this ...

Roku remotes for Roku devices which have buttons to control TV power, TV volume, and TV mute are, in essence, two separate remotes contained in one housing.

The buttons that control the Roku itself communicate with the Roku by wifi.  All Rokus that can use wifi remotes (even Roku TVs that have Roku functions built in) use the same set of wifi control signals - this is why you must pair a wifi remote with the individual Roku you wish to control so that the remote will only communicate with that one single Roku.  You appear to have accomplished pairing this remote to the Roku attached to your Emerson set since you are able to control the Roku functions.

Televisions, on the other hand, have many different sets of control codes depending on manufacturer and model.  The power, volume, and mute buttons manage the TV, not the Roku - that's why you have to jump through some hoops to determine the right set of control codes for the remote to use for the power, volume, and mute functions and then set the remote to use them.  This is the part you are having trouble with, and others have reported the same difficulty.  I'm not sure anybody really understands at this point why this goes smoothly for some and not others.  A couple of different workarounds with which people have reported success have been mentioned.

Good luck, and let us know you make out.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X