Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scoobie69d
Channel Surfer

Does it matter what Remote typesm

Jump to solution

So like a fool I put my remote thru a complete washer cycle. It is currently in some rice. If that does not work, does it matter what replacement remote I buy? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: Does it matter what Remote typesm

Jump to solution

Yes it does.  For example, Roku remotes are different than Roku TV remotes, there are Wi-Fi and IR remotes, and there are remotes with different features like TV controls and voice control etc. There are a few old/obscure Roku models that don’t work with modern remotes.  And there are third-party remotes which are generally IR-only and have no voice but are very cheap.  (There too you must be careful about whether the one you are buying claims to control a Roku Player or a Roku TV – and if a Roku TV, pay attention to the brand of TV as well.)

Start by finding out which Roku (or Roku TV) model you have.  It should be listed on your account and it will be molded into the device itself – in letters so small that many people don’t notice it.

Also, there is the Roku app to keep you going for a while.  (I would still get a real remote since there are some things that are much easier with a real remote like moving a Roku to a new network.)

Banned but back. Because why not?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Yes it does.  For example, Roku remotes are different than Roku TV remotes, there are Wi-Fi and IR remotes, and there are remotes with different features like TV controls and voice control etc. There are a few old/obscure Roku models that don’t work with modern remotes.  And there are third-party remotes which are generally IR-only and have no voice but are very cheap.  (There too you must be careful about whether the one you are buying claims to control a Roku Player or a Roku TV – and if a Roku TV, pay attention to the brand of TV as well.)

Start by finding out which Roku (or Roku TV) model you have.  It should be listed on your account and it will be molded into the device itself – in letters so small that many people don’t notice it.

Also, there is the Roku app to keep you going for a while.  (I would still get a real remote since there are some things that are much easier with a real remote like moving a Roku to a new network.)

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
Scoobie69d
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.