Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dangermike

Disable IR volume control on Voice Remote Pro

I have a Roku Premiere+ (4630X) running software version 11.5.0. My old remote (RC116) has some dying buttons so I bought a new Voice Remote Pro (RC795/RCS01R), excited by the programmable buttons. However, my excitement faded to sadness when I found that my fancy new remote could not control the volume on my receiver.

My old remote could do it just fine. Hitting the API worked as well, correctly adjusting the volume of my receiver:

curl -v -d '' http://192.168.1.176:8060/keypress/VolumeUp

After a frustrating hour or so, I realized that the Voice Remote Pro is sending IR to my television, rather than sending volume control commands through the HDMI. If I enable CEC on my TV, it works, but is terrible in two important ways: The first is the line-of-sight requirement for IR -- just annoying in my apartment. The second is that my TV is bad at CEC -- it throws up 2 giant banners and is slow to respond. 

For those reasons, I really don't want the volume buttons on my remote to trigger IR commands. Rather, I just want them to send volume commands over the HDMI, as has been the case on all my Roku devices until now. Is there a way to do that or do I return the remote and purchase a Simple Remote instead?

-Mike.

P.S. I don't care if the power button stops working. I press that once when I sit down to watch. The volume is used while actually watching stuff.

P.P.S. I can't figure out why anyone would want to use IR on a remote that already connects to its device over WiFi. Can anyone explain that?

Labels (1)
1 REPLY 1
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Disable IR volume control on Voice Remote Pro

@dangermike

Thanks for the post.

It looks like your Roku device remote is paired to control your TV power and volume. Have you tried re-pairing the remote and "incorrectly" pairing the remote so that the Roku device and your TV are no longer paired?

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos