Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marby53

Control a Bose Soundbar with an optical audio connection

I have an older Bose Soundbar with an optical connection to a Samsung smart tv.  I can't pair the remote to the soundbar to control the volume using the setup menu on the Roku.  Is there a way to do this?  Do I need to change the audio connection to the soundbar?  Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Control a Bose Soundbar with an optical audio connection

Using the Roku setting menu will only control tv's volume by IR, unless you're  pairing it to Roku tv or Roku Soundbar/ Streambar than it will control it by WiFi. You can program non-Roku audio device through the Roku settings. 

For non-Roku avr or soundbars they only way the Roku remote will control it is via hdmi-cec, the roku controls the tv, then the tv controls the soundbar via cec. But with you using optical this won't work.  

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Naaz2

Re: Control a Bose Soundbar with an optical audio connection

There is no way to control the TV's volume using the Roku TV setting menu, unless you are pairing it to a Roku TV, Roku Soundbar or Streambar. If you are pairing it to a Roku TV, Soundbar or Streambar, then it will work by WiFi as well. Through Roku's settings, you can program non-Roku audio devices. 

A non-Roku AV receiver or soundbar can only be controlled via HDMI-CEC, the Roku controls the TV, then the TV controls the soundbar via HDMI-CEC. However, this won't work with optical. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.