Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tesscraven

Re: Connecting to WiFi without remote

Jump to solution

You're a lifesaver that last one worked straight away 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

How do I connect my ion 50 inch Roku TV through the Internet without a remote

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @corigirl0826,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We value your inquiry and interest in learning more about connecting your Roku TV to the internet without a remote, and we will do what we can to bring you the information you need. 

If this is the first time, please be advised that you can only connect to the internet with a physical remote. If you were already connected before and just disconnected from the same network, you can check out this support article on how to connect your phone to a Roku streaming device with the Roku mobile app.

Please let us know if you have further queries; we'll gladly assist you.

Kind regards,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Spicykimo

Jump to solution

1. Grab your phone and another device (like a roommate's phone).

2. Remember the last Wi-Fi network your TV was connected to.
3. Rename your phone's hotspot to match that old Wi-Fi network name and set the same password.
4. Turn off your TV, then restart it.
5. Your TV should automatically connect to your phone's hotspot, thinking it's the old Wi-Fi network.
6. Use the secondary device (roommate's phone) to connect to the hotspot and download the Roku TV app.
7. Once the app is downloaded, you can control your Roku TV with it.
8. Finally, switch your Roku TV to your new Wi-Fi network, and everything should work smoothly.

Martin1233

Jump to solution

Why if I got a new cable and WiFi but my controller was broken how can I connect my tv to my WiFi so I can use my app 

0 Kudos
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @Martin1233!

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community!

We understand that you are attempting to connect your Roku device to a new Wi-Fi network so you can use the Roku mobile app. However, we strongly recommend using a physical remote to connect to your Roku device or TV. Attempting to connect to the network without a remote will not work.

In case you need a new Roku streaming remote, you can purchase one from our website: Roku streaming remotes.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact us. We will be more than happy to assist you.

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Nintzel

Jump to solution

those fixes are super clever! Who needs logic puzzles to exercise your brain when you can just read this! I think I am going to just buy a new remote, but I still want to try option 3 just to see if I can do it! I just wanted to thank you for posting and recognition for such a creative solution. 

0 Kudos
RokuElmer-H
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

A warm welcome to the Roku community, @Nintzel 

Please inform us if the suggestions given by one of our streaming experts are useful to you. We'd like to make you aware that this method is more complex than usual. In addition to having a Roku device that is already set up, you will also need to have the following.

• A mobile phone with WiFi hotspot capabilities.
  • A second WiFi-equipped mobile device, either a phone or tablet, with the official Roku mobile app installed.

For more insights about the remote app, click this support page here: How to use the Roku mobile app to control your Roku streaming device without a remote.

Best wishes,
Elmer

Elmer H.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I was driving myself bonkers trying to find a loophole and I finally did. You can pair a universal remote to the Roku. I have a GE CL6. The model number and website are listed on the battery compartment cover.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution
  • I am unable to connect my Roku tv to the new network because I have lost the remote. Please help me figure out which remote I can purchase to resolve my problem. I have a Hisense Roku tv.
  • Model# 58R6E3
  • Serial# 58G22032QH01651
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.