Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Latichever
Reel Rookie

Combination RF/Infrared remote?

Is there a combination RF/Infrared remote, so I can control both my Roku Streaming Stick and LG TV?

Of note, when I'm on a non-Roku input on my TV and press Home on my Roku remote, it will switch to the Roku input, so there's something happening there.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Combination RF/Infrared remote?

Yes, Wifi Roku remotes control the Roku by Wifi, but are than programmed to control tv's by IR. When press the home button it's switching the tv input by hdmi-cec. The only tv the Roku control via Wifi are Roku tv's. There is secret menu that we are not allowed to post that let you control all tv commands, power, volume, and mute by cec. In that case it would be Wifi from the remote to Roku, and then Roku sends cec signals over the hdmi cable. So, no IR for non-Roku tv's in that case. But in majority of the cases, it always controls the tv by IR. 

If LG codes don't work, try Vizio. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Latichever
Reel Rookie

Thanks for you reply. 

I'm using the remote that was supplied with my 4K streaming stick. It doesn't appear programmable--although it did identify I have an LG TV. So after that identification, it will turn my TV on/off, control volume and mute and return from other LG inputs to the input for Roku. 

I'm just wondering if there is a third-party remote that will control both the Roku and other TV functions such as switching to other inputs.

Seems like there should be something out there that would do this.

0 Kudos

I'm looking for the same thing. The supplied remote works for the basic volume, power and mute but there are a few other options I like to use on my tv that it doesn't do.

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @FletcherSyntax

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Could you tell us more about the issue you have about the concern you're running into? We'd like to know more about how we can help! How long has the issue existed? In addition, can you please specify the exact steps you are taking to reproduce this issue so we can assist you further?

With detailed information, we will be better able to assist you.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos