Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
J04nnyB

Changing preset channel buttons

That would be great, im sure many users could do without a Disney button

Labels (1)
12 REPLIES 12
Adammled
Reel Rookie

Re: Changing preset channel buttons

Or Apple TV

0 Kudos
mkatoma
Channel Surfer

exactly. it's all about $, quite simply

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@mkatoma wrote:

exactly. it's all about $, quite simply

Of course it is. Roku is paid for those button placements, and by contract they can't be altered. If the user could reprogram the button, then Roku would not be able to charge much if anything for those buttons. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
thelion777

I wish roku would offer a custom remote option where you could order a remote with whatever services or options you want.  For me, two of the buttons would be for youtube and plex since thats what i use the most.  I would be willing to pay a premium price for a custom remote.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Hey, Roku just finally released a remote with backlit buttons after being requested for many years. Baby steps, baby steps! 

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-voice-remote-pro-2nd-edition

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

If this is true, it’s crazy they would put short-term advertising dollars over customer experience. What a waste  

0 Kudos
Ja12262
Reel Rookie

So I guess with the change from HBO Max to just Max that we are all sol??

0 Kudos
RFT135
Binge Watcher

I don't think so.  I use some programmable remotes with which I have access to any of the potential dedicated buttons for the Roku devices.  I have a button programmed for Max using an IR command that was originally established for HBO Now.

I have 5 Roku devices of varying vintage with their original remotes (that I never use) and none have a button dedicated to HBO Max, so I'm unable to verify it.  But all of my devices respond to that same HBO Now code to get me directly to Max.

I posted a list of all the possible dedicated buttons on this thread back in October of 2023.

Unfortunately for me, the same relationship is not true for YouTube (the website, which has a dedicated IR code) and YouTube TV (the streaming service).  YouTube TV is by far our most used app and there are no dedicated button codes for that.

Ja12262
Reel Rookie

Thanks, seems like I am in that situation with mine, your YouTube description, so I will have to deal with it. Shouldn't complain, 62 and I do not have to walk to the television to change channels so I guess I just got too suck it up and navigate to the menu....the horror!!!

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.