Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
westner
Roku Guru

Re: Can't set shortcut buttons on remote

Jump to solution

@renojim The point is, one can't make ANY changes to the shortcut buttons until Roku changes their selection page that chooses the button. One of the choices is "channel", meaning ANY channel, because some of the other choices are "The Roku Channel", "Sleep Timer" and "Live TV Guide".

Have you actually tried to successfully change the button assignment lately? I didn't think so, otherwise you wouldn't be talking about bs like 'context'.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@westner, it's clear we're never going to agree, but stop trying to say I don't know what I'm talking about.  I can't emphasize this enough - when it says "Channel" on that popup menu it means "App".  That's how it works now and nothing you say will change the meaning of "Channel" on that popup.  The question was about setting a shortcut to a Live channel and it appears to be impossible now from the popup menu.  Prove that last sentence wrong or move on!

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
westner
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Okay, @renojim, prove me wrong. Grab your Voice Remote Pro and select an "App" from the given choices. I'll gladly apologize if you can program either of the two buttons to select the "App" you chose.

Do you even own a Voice Remote Pro? 

0 Kudos
alan93
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

ok I tested and it does set an app to a shortcut so the word "channel" is misleading.

I was able to set YoutubeTV to the "1" shortcut button.

westner
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@alan93 wrote: 

"ok I tested and it does set an app to a shortcut so the word "channel" is misleading. I was able to set YoutubeTV to the "1" shortcut button."

How did you do it? "Channel" and "Voice Command" are the only options that say that by pressing the 'OK' button brings up the "how to" page. I was able to set an OTA channel using "Voice Command". Both of my buttons are now on an OTA (33.8) channel and on a streaming (247) channel, not "Apps".

0 Kudos
westner
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

This is an answer to @renojim , who claimed he had a solution to this problem:

Bulldoodoo! I did it yesterday. One button is now a streaming channel the other one is an OTA channel. Had to do it creatively. 

0 Kudos
alan93
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Can you describe the voice command?

0 Kudos
westner
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@alan93 I'll be glad to.

1. Use a voice command to select a channel number (either streaming or OTA).
  2. Press either of the two shortcut buttons for 5 seconds to bring up the 'selection menu'.
  3. Select: "Last Voice Command"
  4. The screen will show: 'Your last voice command: "(channel#)".
  5. Hit "OK"

You're done! Repeat for the other button if needed. This however is not a solution to the problem, it's only a workaround. Roku still needs to fix the Setup Page so that hitting "OK" should select "Channel" and NOT take you to an "Instructions Page".

0 Kudos
alan93
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

yea that works. it even changes to it faster than the app short cut which prompts you to select "yes" before it selects it. Much better.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
westner
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I did not claim this to be a solution. As I stated in my answer: 

Spoiler
".... it's only a workaround. Roku still needs to fix the Setup Page so that hitting "OK" should select "Channel" and NOT take you to an "Instructions Page"."
0 Kudos