Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
clogwearerwayne
Binge Watcher

Basic remote + screen stop working after I push FOUR buttons, FIVE max.

3930X Basic remote; no voice.

After pushing just 4 or 5 buttons, my screen and remote freeze. The little white light on the dongle freezes as well. I can't do a System Restart, nor the Home-Up-Rewind-Forward dance. I have changed batteries TWICE, but still the same situation. I've unplugged/replugged the darned thing a dozen times, nothing changes. I don't know what else to do. Should I get a new remote? I don't really think it could be the remote, solely because otherwise, I wouldn't have been able to push 4 buttons to begin with, but it's otherwise unresponsive. I don't want to get a whole new 3930X, though cheap, I don't want to go through the whole re-registration stuff again.

0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Basic remote + screen stop working after I push FOUR buttons, FIVE max.

With all the Roku devices that use a USB cable for power make sure you're using the supplied power adapter and not the TV's USB port.  If it didn't come with a power adapter, make sure the one you're using is up to the task.  Some (most?) TV's USB ports can't provide enough power.  Make sure the power adapter you're using can supply at least 1 Amp.  The fine print on the power adapter should say something like, Output: 5V 1A.  Anything greater than 1 Amp is ok.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
clogwearerwayne
Binge Watcher

I AM using the power adapter. Everything had been fine for the last 10 months.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Did you check the remote by pointing it at a cellphone camera, if you see flashes with each button press its working, no flashes it's broken. Replace it with  a cheap  universal remote. Benefit of an aftermarket universal is it will control your tv volume too. Unlike the simple Roku remote. 

Edmund

0 Kudos

So pointing ROKU to camera…. The camera lenses on the back or open camera app and point to screen, really?

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

With camera app open on the phone, while you're looking at the screen, point the part of the remote that emits a signal at the back of the phone as if you were taking a picture of the remote, and just press a key look for a flashes in screen of the phone. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
clogwearerwayne
Binge Watcher

I DON'T own a smartphone. (Silly, huh?)

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Do you have an old digital camera, that loads pictures on to media cards instead of film? 

Edmund

0 Kudos
clogwearerwayne
Binge Watcher

Yes, I think I can dig one up.

0 Kudos
clogwearerwayne
Binge Watcher

Yes I do have a digital camera. 

Let's get this thing fixed, or I'll either have to buy a new remote or drop Roku altogether as a failed experiment.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.