Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rick5472

How do I switch between Roku and TV/Cable inputs with the Roku voice remote?

Jump to solution

I have the Roku Streaming Stik 4K and voice remote and I want to be able to switch TV inputs between my regular cable and Roku with the Roku voice remote. I can't find anything in the Roku settings to allow me to select different inputs. I have to use the Samsung TV remote to switch back to the cable input. How can I do these functions with the Roku voice remote?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How do I switch between Roku and TV/Cable inputs with the Roku voice remote?

Jump to solution

@Rick5472-

Your Roku cannot do this directly - Roku remotes cannot directly control the tv's input/source control .   BUT, the tv itself may do this for you.

If your tv supports HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronic Control), turn on this feature.  Unfortunately many tv manufacturers call this feature by their own proprietary names.  Some common ones: 

AOC: E-link
Hitachi: HDMI-CEC (Thank you, Hitachi!)
LG: SimpLink or SIMPLINK (HDMI-CEC)
Mitsubishi: NetCommand for HDMI
Onkyo: RIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI)
Philips: EasyLink
Pioneer: Kuro Link
Runco International: RuncoLink
Samsung: Anynet+
Sharp: Aquos Link
Sony: BRAVIA Sync
Toshiba: CE-Link or Regza Link
Vizio: CEC (Thank you, Vizio!) 

With CEC enabled on the tv, pressing a button on your Roku remote should switch the tv to the HDMI port to which your Roku is connected without you having to do it via the tv remote. To turn this feature on in your Roku, enable "1-touch play" via Roku menu path Settings > System > Control other devices (Yeah, Roku has a proprietary name for CEC also, shame on them!) 

Notes:     

• On some TV's you may need to have the tv do a scan or search for connected CEC devices.    
  • If other connected devices (game console,  cable box, disk player, etc) also have a CEC function, pressing a button on the their remotes may also switch the tv to their tv inputs.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How do I switch between Roku and TV/Cable inputs with the Roku voice remote?

Jump to solution

@Rick5472-

Your Roku cannot do this directly - Roku remotes cannot directly control the tv's input/source control .   BUT, the tv itself may do this for you.

If your tv supports HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronic Control), turn on this feature.  Unfortunately many tv manufacturers call this feature by their own proprietary names.  Some common ones: 

AOC: E-link
Hitachi: HDMI-CEC (Thank you, Hitachi!)
LG: SimpLink or SIMPLINK (HDMI-CEC)
Mitsubishi: NetCommand for HDMI
Onkyo: RIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI)
Philips: EasyLink
Pioneer: Kuro Link
Runco International: RuncoLink
Samsung: Anynet+
Sharp: Aquos Link
Sony: BRAVIA Sync
Toshiba: CE-Link or Regza Link
Vizio: CEC (Thank you, Vizio!) 

With CEC enabled on the tv, pressing a button on your Roku remote should switch the tv to the HDMI port to which your Roku is connected without you having to do it via the tv remote. To turn this feature on in your Roku, enable "1-touch play" via Roku menu path Settings > System > Control other devices (Yeah, Roku has a proprietary name for CEC also, shame on them!) 

Notes:     

• On some TV's you may need to have the tv do a scan or search for connected CEC devices.    
  • If other connected devices (game console,  cable box, disk player, etc) also have a CEC function, pressing a button on the their remotes may also switch the tv to their tv inputs.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos