Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fizzu
Channel Surfer

Won't Connect to wifi Error Code 014.30 with ASUS router

Hi All,

Can anyone please help me? I just bought a brand new (2021) Roku streaming stick 4k+ and I cannot connect to wifi. The problem is I need to connect and use router wifi. The Roku stick is saying I have excellent signal to my router but then I try to connect and receive the error code 014.30 that says weak signal. This doesn't make any sense. I have a Rog Rapture GT-AX6000. I have 17 devices connected to the router. No other devices has issues. I have tried most steps I believe.

-I have Unplugged and reset everything, tried to connect and failed.

-I have been on my router interface and have tried changing the wireless modes to Auto, N only, Legacy, N/AC/AX mixed. 

-I have moved the device right on top of the router and it will still not connect.

Thank you for your time.

Model 3821x - streaming stick 4k+

0 Kudos
43 REPLIES 43
fredneck
Roku Guru

Re: Won't Connect to wifi Error Code 014.30 with ASUS router

This may not be the easiest solution, but since you've already tried doing all the simple stuff, it may be time for the nuclear option. A Hard Reset. This will wipe your Roku Stick clean and make it, so you need to activate it again and go through the guided setup. If this does not work, it may be a hardware related issue with your Wi-Fi receiver on the Roku itself. https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/How-To-Reconnect-RokuTV-to-Internet...

Roku is my favorite streamer, mkvXstream.com has my favorite Roku channels
0 Kudos
Fizzu
Channel Surfer

Hi Fred,

The issue happened right out of the box.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Fizzu 

In those same wireless settings under the 5gz band, verify that you are using a wireless channel 36-48 or 149-161.  Any other channel is a DFS channel and Roku cannot see or use them. 

Should be ok to leave mode/protocol on mixed n/ac/ax.

Additionally, because this Roku device is dual-band, you should also be able to connect to your 2.4ghz band.  Verify you are using b/g/n as the default mode/protocol and using a wireless channel between 1 and 11. (If you are currently set to g/n and also an Xfinity/Comcast customer, you will need to change to b/g/n.

If you still have issues after doing the above, change your password to something simple (or use no password), get the Roku to connect, and then change it again to your preferred password.

Feel free to post and update or if you need more help.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Fizzu
Channel Surfer

Hi AVS,

Thank you for those steps and I have verified that I have done them already. There's no password problem here. The error code is 014.30 which states weak signal. Roku isn't making sense, it won't connect because of a weak signal. On Roku's list of wireless networks both of my bands show excellent signal. 

No comcast / I have my own router / not clear on why you mentioned that

Dfs channels are set to off already

2.4 Control channel 8

5ghz Control channel 48

I have tried every different wireless mode as stated

Avs whats interesting is I did research before posting and I had already found your posts in other discussions. Unfortunately nothing has helped. Roku rep claims its the router and the Asus router rep says its Roku. The only reason I'm trying so hard to make this work is because ive been supporting Roku a long time. This situation is a bit much, taking up a lot of time. I've been trying all day and some of yesterday night.

AvsGunnar

@Fizzu 

There are a few other things to try in helping to narrow down to Roku device issue or a network issue (router or router setup) for troubleshooting.

First thing to do is make sure you are using the power cable and it is plugged into wall. (rather than back of TV.)  Then try and connect to a mobile hotspot if available to you.  If you can connect to a mobile hotspot, then not device issue but a network issue. (In the alternative, you can also try to connect to another network, ie. your friend, neighbor, etc.).

If you can connect to the hotspot, then change wireless channel to 149. (this is high band of 5ghz).  I would also create open network for testing (no password) and lower the channel width/bandwidth to 40mhz for testing.  You are using a Asus Gaming Wifi6 mesh router which may be causing some of the issue with the Roku. 

Just to address some of your responses....

I brought up the wrong router in my search when responding to your post (looking at multiple threads).  There are a few reported issues with Asus routers and Roku.  Some refuse to connect no matter what people try. (or at least that is what they report).  If you have mesh support enabled, then can complicate issues a bit.  If you can disable mesh support (create 2 seperate manual bands - one 2.4ghz and one 5ghz with distinct SSID network names), then the Roku should be able to see and connect to at least one of them. 

The 14.30 error is a network connection or password authentication error no matter what Roku support deems it to be. (They can call it weak signal or whatever else they want to term it.)  Generally, this is why for troubleshooting it is recommended to disable the password, restart both the Roku and router and then establish a new connection.  Even if the password is correct, there may be an authentication issue and no matter how many times you type it in correctly, it will not work because there is an authentication issue/error between the Roku and the router. 

It can definitely be frustrating to get these things to work sometimes. Unfortunately, sometimes it does end up that a device is not compatible with another.  It could be the Roku will not work with this Asus router, but there are different settings and steps to try if willing.

Again, keep updating this post and mention what steps you did above and the changes you saw in addition to any new errors, etc.  Just remember to restart both Roku and router after making any changes.

0 Kudos
Fizzu
Channel Surfer

AVS 

I think we just made a little progress. I went into guest network and created an open system band. I have successfully connected on a my guest 5ghz band, however its unsecure. Also I only wanted to as a last resort by I did open up my main 5ghz band on a open system as well and it worked. But I have quickly changed that back to secure. I was afraid of all the devices connected they would all disconnect. I set everything back to how it was and all my devices are disconnected on my 5ghz band. 😞

So the problem is a password authentication issue? Now to get to the finish line, how do we figure out how to get Roku and Asus to authenticate passwords on secure network. I have tried changing the passwords. I have tried changing authentication methods, such as currently its on WPA2-personal. I also have tried WPA/WPA2 Personal. Please Advise.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Fizzu 

Good to see you are making progress.  Best to choose WPA2 Personal.  Normal secure setting is to use WPA2-PSK mode with AES encryption.  As long as you select WPA2 in most routers, AES is set by default.

Now, you just have to see what is causing the password error.  Normally, just removing any special characters (#, &, $, etc) will do the trick.  Other times, it could even be a regular character, that is being misinterpreted. (or it could be one of the special characters.  It may allow $, but not #).

Since the open network worked, just try a simple abcd1234 password and see if it again connects.  If so, then try more complicated password, then your preferred password without special characters.  Sometimes, just by changing the password, and then changing it back to your original password will also work. 

Just remember to restart your roku and router after changing your password.

Let me know how it goes.

0 Kudos
Fizzu
Channel Surfer

Avs, 

Here's where I am at. I have not been able to get any combination of letters, numbers, and symbols to authenticate. I gave it three tries as well as restarting everything 3 times. If you have any further steps it would be appreciated. Could you explain to me another couple of things. Why does every device authenticate passwords with router except Roku? Why does Roku Authenticate iPhone hotspot password but not router?

This is how I am bypassing the problem as a current work around. I created a guest 5ghz open network. I connected Roku device to it. Then when back into the router and Hid the SSID so no one can see it. Hopefully that makes me a little safer. I would much more prefer to establish a secure connection. Hope to hear more from you and Danny tomorrow. Goodnight. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Fizzu 

I was going to suggest using a hidden guest network as a workaround so you can at least your Roku while we attempt to get some settings to work... Good job seeing what needs to be done.

-----

Why the Roku (or any other wireless device) connects to one router easily and not another easily really just comes down to settings and firmware.  Many of the newer routers have technology and features that are enabled that attempt to automatically configure an end user's network.  However, not every network is the same, so these settings can cause conflicts with some devices.  This is why testing with a hotspot or alternate network is useful - it helps confirm the Roku's wireless NIC (basically wifi chip) is working properly and can achieve a successful connection.

For now, leave out any special characters in password.  Just use numbers and letters.  Normally 8 to 9 characters max for testing, as some networks require 8 character minimum.  (Just want to eliminate one known issue while troubleshooting).  Next known issue with Asus is a setting called "Airtime Fairness" with certain devices.  Normally affects more 2.4 ghz only devices, but since your Roku device is not showing as available to connect to 2.4ghz band, a good avenue to explore.

This setting should be located in your Asus router under Wireless..Professional.  I would first disable it under the 2.4ghz and test your connection.  Then I would go back and also disable it under 5ghz and test again.  After pressing "Apply",  restart/reboot both router and Roku.  Not sure if you already did, but try changing your wireless channel on 5ghz to the high band (149-161 range to get on a higher frequency).

Just remember to restart/reboot your router and your Roku after you make any changes.  During this phase it also would be a good idea to clear the network cache of the Roku again with the Network Connection Reset procedure you did before.

0 Kudos