Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Compucore
Reel Rookie

Re: Won't Connect to wifi Error Code 014.30 with ASUS router

I'm actually using Videotron which is the cable service provider for both tv and internet. The router that I am still using is a TPLINK router Dual band. I finally got it up and working. I just needed to make an adjustment within the router settings and was able to get it working again. Once the settings were save. I reconnected and was able to log back into the local lan without a problem. And I was able to start watching shows again. Problem actually fixed. 

Kind regards,

Karl

0 Kudos
Matthew7

The issue is with Roku support, or lack, for the subset of 802.11 adopted by the Asus GT-AX6000 and other newer routers.

I haven’t run a trace (yet) but disabling encryption via enabling a guest network with no password is a workaround. You can enable local net access to it if you share media content via a NAS if your router supports.

Highly recommend making the (password unprotected) guest network hidden after binding to it, and utilizing MAC lock to your Roku devices as a workaround until Roku resolved (as hidden SSIDs light up SSID sniffers like a Christmas tree). Their chipsets may be unable to comply if Asus and others have enforced stronger ciphers than possible, no update may be possible.

This strikes me as poor library management at the least, and bad security posture at most. The fact it isn’t fixed, still, is very, very disappointing.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Matthew7 

Another user @xcloudx reported success with the PMF setting.  Verify that it is not set to "Required".  Try "Disabled" or "Capable"

Capable is recommended, but may have to set to Disabled in order to connect initially.

Since this is an authentication setting, I think he may be on to something.  Post back your results with this.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/Roku-will-not-connect-to-Asus-GT-AX...

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the post.

If you are experiencing an issue where you are receiving the Error Code 014.30 and are using an ASUS router, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Spacechicken
Reel Rookie

Upgraded internet, got new ASUS WIFI 6E Router, now none of Roku sticks or TV will connect...

Hey fellas,

So I have been poking around and finding various threads regarding connectivity issues with ASUS routers and Roku devices.  I have tried several of the tips and advices found on those threads, but none of them have worked for me so far.  I do have a slightly different ASUS router, but the interface looks quite similar to the screenshots I've seen.  It's the ASUS ZenWiFi Pro AXE11000 that has two towers with one acting as the Router and the other an Extender.

Background:
Switched to Google Fiber 2Gbps internet because why not, so service was setup 10 days ago.  Everything worked okay for the most part including the Roku devices but the signal from the extender was not great.  Tried working with their Support to rectify the issue but was told the extender is too far away from their Modem/Router and after hearing about the spotty issues on their new equipment I decided to take that out of the equation and drop on a new ASUS mesh system.

Everything works great *except* the Roku devices will not reconnect to the WIFI network.  Now I did use the same SSID and password that I just setup on the Google mesh setup for convenience and turned out most of my devices automatically connected to the new Router/Extender.  I did rename and disable the old Google WIFI service and disconnected their extender, so the only thing coming from their Modem/Router now is a 2.5Gb port to the 2.5Gb ASUS WAN port.  Then from the ASUS 2.5Gb LAN port it goes to a 2.5Gb switch that goes to the rest of the house that is wired for Cat6.

Originally, I thought that maybe the Roku devices were getting confused with having the same SSID name so I did a Network Reset, but that did not work, so I did a Factory Reset, and again that did not work.  I started searching online and checking settings on the ASUS router that included making sure the 2.4/5Ghz channels were in the right range and not on Auto, turning off the 5Ghz radio and trying to connect to the 2.4Ghz one, making sure that Protected Management Frames was disabled, creating a Guest network with a completely new name and simple password with no special characters, making sure that the authentication method was WPA2-Personal, and also of course I ensured that both the Router's firmware was updated and so were the Roku devices.  I was able to connect them to my hotspot.

Aside from all that I did actually order a brand new Roku Streaming Stick 4K from Amazon just to cover all the bases with the thought maybe hey I just need a newer stick but while it did initially connect to the WIFI, it rebooted after a System Update, and then would not connect again.  So at this point I am suspecting it's a firmware issue that's making it not play nice with the ASUS routers.  It's just my gut feeling though.

So I currently have:
- Roku Streaming+ Stick (Purchased 2021 actually now that I look it up)
- TCL Roku TV that's 2-3 years old now
- Roku Express that I have no idea how long I've had it but I'm going to replace it with the new one I bought yesterday

Hopefully there is a fix because I really do love the 6E router setup I have now.  It performs very well as it should for its somewhat absurd price.  I only got it because I had a Microcenter store credit gift card from a broken Inland gaming chair of theirs I returned.

Any tips or advice is appreciated.  Sorry to ramble on but thank you if you made it to here!

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Upgraded internet, got new ASUS WIFI 6E Router, now none of Roku sticks or TV will connect...

@Spacechicken 

You have thoroughly been through all the known issues and suggestions that other users have indicated to been the resolution.  (PMF and Guest networks included).

Only other additional suggestion would be to create a Guest Network with No Password (Open Network).

If the Open Guest Network works for you, then you can always hide the SSID if you think you need to for some extra security.

-----

@RokuDanny-R has indicated the engineering team has discovered the issue with Asus routers and will be released in an update. (who knows when).  Perhaps your router model number (ASUS ZenWiFi Pro AXE11000) can be forwarded as well to make sure included in their testing.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Spacechicken
Reel Rookie

Re: Upgraded internet, got new ASUS WIFI 6E Router, now none of Roku sticks or TV will connect...

Good morning,

Thank you for the suggestion!  So that did work with the TCL Roku TV but neither the new Roku Stick or the slightly older Stick+ would connect.  I did 5Ghz for the Guest Network with no password at first, and when it didn't work for either Roku Stick I created a 2.4Ghz Guest Network with a separate name and still no luck.  I did try a Network Reset on the new Stick, and the Stick+ is still off the Factory Reset I performed before so it comes up on the Welcome screen.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Spacechicken

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Spacechicken
Reel Rookie

@RokuDanny-R 

This is bizarre.  I was able to connect the original Stick+ to the Guest WIFI just now.  The newer Stick still does not work.  This is what happened:

- Pulled info as requested off the new Roku Stick 4K, tried to connect, no luck connecting still.

- Put in old Roku Stick+ into 3rd HDMI input to grab info off same TV, but it was Factory Reset, so I connected up to my phone's hotspot so I could complete setup process.  Got info, then tried the Guest Network again for **bleep**s n' giggles but it connected!

- Flipped back to the new Roku Stick 4K and tried connecting to Guest Network and no luck.  Tried actual WIFI network again and again no success.  Reset Network Settings and tried both again and same result.  It just won't connect.  I even moved this new stick to my son's room to replace his Roku Express device and I must have tried a dozen times now but it won't connect like the older Stick+ just did.

Now I have 2/3 1/3 Roku devices working, but it seems like sheer luck at this point.  Answers to what was requested:

1st) 3810X - Roku Streaming Stick+ - S/N YH001P168875 - D/ID 213161168875 - OS 10.5.0 Build 4208-50
2nd) 3820X - Streaming Stick 4K - S/N X017001E6EDR - D/ID S08Y421E6EDR - OS 10.5.1 Build 4066-CU
3rd) TCL Roku TV - 7101X - S/N YN00W6102310 - D/ID 8L683W102310 - OS 10.5.0 Build 4210-30

Does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
No, I did try changing the channel as suggested in other threads.  Doesn't seem to matter what channel I change it to, it's the same result.  I tried 153 and then 157 manually on the 5Ghz channel, and left the 2.4Ghz alone since it was already in the recommended range.  I changed it back to Auto after testing and the Guest Network is on 149 but it connected to one of the sticks and the TV is still connected too.

Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
This doesn't seem to do anything but go back to my Home screen when the error occurs.  I can tell you typically the error message is Error 014.50.  It shows I have Excellent signal strength to it as well.

Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
Pretty much what has been listed above.  I can just turn it on and go straight to the Network settings and try the Guest Network straight-away, or I can try to connect to my hotspot first, but it doesn't make a difference either way.

//Update - After going back to my bedroom where the 3810X connected to the Guest Network WIFI and turning on the TV again I noticed it was no longer connected and I am unable to connect again.  Only the TCL Roku TV has stayed wirelessly connected with the Guest Network suggestion.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Spacechicken

Thanks for the follow up.

I have passed along your concerns and information to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Once more information is available, I'll be sure to update this Community thread.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator