Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DampDog
Binge Watcher

Sudden poor Wifi signal?

Pretty sure my device is just dying. I have Roku express streaming player which is only about 18 months old and is suddenly not connecting due to poor wifi signal. It's been trouble free up to now and suddenly started to misbehave, it worked perfectly one day, then would not connect the next. (Nothing changed elsewhere)

Done the usual, restart device and router, but no joy.

I've switched it out with a Roku premier that is used in another room and that connects first time with "good" signal quality. When I check it with Netflix it shows a solid 22Mbs.

Placed back original Roku express and when it does occasionally manage to connect, signal quality is "poor" at best with Netflix measuring 0.395KBs!

Gut feeling is Wifi receiver has simply packed in!

Anyone else had devices die suddenly while still relatively new?

Though I like the Roku, it's making me doubt the quality of the product. Or have I just been unlucky?

47 REPLIES 47
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Sudden poor Wifi signal?

Did you try completely clearing out all the network connection information and starting over?

Settings > System > Advanced system settings > Network connection reset

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
DampDog
Binge Watcher

@makaiguy wrote:

Did you try completely clearing out all the network connection information and starting over?

Settings > System > Advanced system settings > Network connection reset

Not as yet. But cheers for reminding me, I'll give it a go.

0 Kudos
DampDog
Binge Watcher

I reset my network connection, but it made no difference.

Well I had a little play with my two boxes just now. I found a little nugget of info on accessing the Roku internal signal strength page. Home button X5 then up, down, up, down, up, via the remote.

My suspected dodgy Roku Express indicated a signal strength of around 15 (I assume out of 100) Simply switching boxes to my Roku Premier, and touching nothing else, I get an indicated 34. So more than double.

So pretty much 50% less sensitivity between the two boxes. Whether it's been accidentally hobbled by an erroneous software update or its just packing in, who can say.

Decided to bite the bullet and order one of the newer Roku streaming sticks as they are supposed to have 4X the range, so should fix it. Even though I'll be a few quid out of pocket, yet again..Smiley Sad

Unless anyone has any suggestions for a better device for around the same money??    

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Good luck.  I've been quite pleased with my Streaming Stick+.   Me only complaint is a couple of times a month I lose wifi connection and have to jump through a hoop or two to get it reestablished, but I've gotten pretty good at it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Davidhx
Binge Watcher

Hello,

I have the exact same problem with my Roku Express.

All my other devices have excellent signal strength. The Roku can only be 5m from my WiFi router.

On that WiFi secret screen, I'm getting strength 30

Antenna 1 23

Antenna 2 0

Glitch rate fluctuates. 

I notice the latest system update was December 18th v9.4.0 build 4200-51. This is highly suspicious and I hope Roku look into it asap!

Spir0s
Channel Surfer

Exactly the same thing happened to my Roku Express last week. Working perfectly for months and then all of a sudden unable to detect a WiFi network. 

DampDog
Binge Watcher

@Spir0s wrote:

Exactly the same thing happened to my Roku Express last week. Working perfectly for months and then all of a sudden unable to detect a WiFi network. 

That's interesting. I bit the bullet and purchased a Premier version, mostly because of the problems I've had with the Express version but also because the 4K version will be handy in the future.

I'll leave it a couple of weeks and then try it again, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it sorted itself out like the last issue eventually did. Gut feeling is it's a software update issue, possibly at Netflix's end, but who knows, the customer support/feed back is nigh on none existent.

Wile trying to bottom the issue I've used the "Secret screen" menu and also noticed these things run hot! My device is used in a cool bedroom at around 18deg C. The Roku hits 88-90degs and that is not streaming 4K. I'm pretty sure the processor is already beginning to throttle as you can see the clock freq  stepping up and down. I would imagine the lifespan of these devices will be pretty short running as hot as they do. Rubbish design on the heat management side. 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would guarantee it’s not a software update. I have a Express 3900EU with the same issues in July, ~18months old. Mine will only connect if its within 1m of an access point. It’s not the AP, I’ve tried 3 different Ubiquiti models on 3 different firmware versions, tethering to various iPhones, 2 different travel access points. All legal frequencies / channels. WPA on and off. When using the ‘secret’ wifi screen I NEVER have any signal on Antenna2. With an AP ~10cm away it shows Strength:32, Ant1:49, Ant2:0.

I posted the issue months ago and have had no response from ROKU. I therefore take this as planned obsolescence

What is more annoying to me is that I do not want a wireless device. I would far rather have one with a built in ethernet port or the ability to use an OTG network adaptor ie.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Ethernet-Adaptor-Chromecast-Network/dp/B01N1X28F1

Don't mention the Ultra, its not available in the UK and does not support some UK channels - BBC iPlayer...

0 Kudos
Pkate

Same here for 2 days.  My internet says it is Roku everything on there end is fine.  What is going on.  Poor signal and you can't  call them.  Really

0 Kudos