Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jockoe
Streaming Star

New modem connectivity issue with my streambar

Jump to solution

I connected a new modem to my computer last night, which is located in my computerroom, and it works perfectly, but I'm having an issue with 1 of my 2 Roku's. I have a Roku Ultra in the bedroom which connected to the new modem like it should. (I can tell because my Internet Download Speed is about 60Mbps higher than it used to be) I have a Roku Streambar in the livingroom (which is a room closer to the new modem). It is connected, but the Internet Download Speed did not increase like it did with the Roku Ultra in the bedroom. I've tried everything I can think of to get it working.

• Refreshed the router
  • Refreshed the modem through my ISP's website
  • Restarted the Roku using 2 different ways I know
  • Removed the Network Settings and then rescanned for my network. (through the Roku settings)

I even did a factory reset, but that did not work.

Today, I added the Roku's MAC address to my router settings. I'm not real technical so that was just a shot in the dark. That did not work.

Should the IP address of both of my Roku devices be identical? (They are different)

How can I fix this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: New modem connectivity issue with my streambar

Jump to solution

@jockoe 

The wireless router (not the modem) may not have the same signal at all locations throughout a residence, particularly if you have a single router or access point. There are several things that can make a difference, including the wiring within the walls, electronics in the room, distance from the router, nearby networks (yes, a totally separate network can interfere with your network), and other things.

You may not like this, but if your connection speed is enough to stream without buffering, then you gain nothing from increasing that speed. Amazon, for instance, recommends 15 Mbps for 4K/UHD streaming. Netflix says 25 Mbps. If your device speed is that or higher, getting it even higher brings nothing to the table.

That's not to say that you couldn't increase it with some work, but if the work involves re-wiring your house, it's probably not worth it. But it's your time and your money.

@jockoe wrote:

... Should the IP address of both of my Roku devices be identical? (They are different) ...

No. You're looking at your internal IP address. Externally, they're all the same because it's actually your network's IP address that the Internet sees. Internally, your router in routing all the traffic (that's why they call it a router) to the devices based on the internal IP address. Devices are assigned an address when they connect to the network (and not before). Each is unique within that network, and that's how the router knows where to route the traffic. Two devices cannot have the same IP address on a network.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@jockoe 

The wireless router (not the modem) may not have the same signal at all locations throughout a residence, particularly if you have a single router or access point. There are several things that can make a difference, including the wiring within the walls, electronics in the room, distance from the router, nearby networks (yes, a totally separate network can interfere with your network), and other things.

You may not like this, but if your connection speed is enough to stream without buffering, then you gain nothing from increasing that speed. Amazon, for instance, recommends 15 Mbps for 4K/UHD streaming. Netflix says 25 Mbps. If your device speed is that or higher, getting it even higher brings nothing to the table.

That's not to say that you couldn't increase it with some work, but if the work involves re-wiring your house, it's probably not worth it. But it's your time and your money.

@jockoe wrote:

... Should the IP address of both of my Roku devices be identical? (They are different) ...

No. You're looking at your internal IP address. Externally, they're all the same because it's actually your network's IP address that the Internet sees. Internally, your router in routing all the traffic (that's why they call it a router) to the devices based on the internal IP address. Devices are assigned an address when they connect to the network (and not before). Each is unique within that network, and that's how the router knows where to route the traffic. Two devices cannot have the same IP address on a network.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
jockoe
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@DBDukes 

Thank you for all of the information.

@DBDukes wrote:

You may not like this, but if your connection speed is enough to stream without buffering, then you gain nothing from increasing that speed.

There is no buffering going on with my streaming.  I do see a significant difference (2s) in the speed that YouTube TV switches channels, between the 2 televisions. - Switching channels on YouTube TV has always been slow on both of my devices.  Google has updated the app fairly recently and the time to switch channels went from about 8s to about 4-5s.  With the new modem, the Roku Ultra is only taking 2s or less to change channels.  So that is what I was hoping to get to on the Streambar.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@jockoe 

The Roku Ultra model 4800 has 2 GB RAM. The Streambar model 9102 has 1 GB RAM. You should get better performance from the Ultra than from the Streambar.

My Streambar doesn't take as long as you describe to change channels within live streaming services. Then again, my network is 50 Mbps. Since yours is higher, then I would lean away from this as the cause of what you're experiencing.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
jockoe
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I've tried other live streaming services without any issues with changing channels or slowness of any kind.  It just seems to be with the YouTube TV app.  I have read many other users complain of the same  experience with slow changing channels.  At least it's tolerable now.

0 Kudos