Issue Tracking Board

Status updates, outage reports, fixes, and workarounds. Subscribe to a thread be notified of updates!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuMaryEF
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

[Solved by future update] Roku TV |Network Connection Issues After OS Update

Jump to solution

Hi Community users,

We have received reports that some users with Roku TV are experiencing difficulty connecting to their home network following a recent OS update.

Update (July 18th): We've identified the problem and expect a fix in a future update.

In the meantime, we recommend performing a factory resetHere’s how:

1. Locate the reset button on your Roku device, which is usually on the back or bottom.

2. Ensure your Roku TV is powered on.

3. Press and hold the reset button for exactly 10 seconds.

4. Watch for a fast-blinking light, indicating that the reset is in progress.

5. Once the light blinks at a normal rate, release the button.

Update: 7/16 - Under investigation

You can attempt the following steps using your remote control to trigger an automatic restart of your Roku device:

• Press the Home button (five times),
  • Then press the Up button,
  • Followed by pressing Rewind (twice),
  • And Fast Forward (twice).

Resolution: Perform a manual factory reset

Previous update: 7/11 This issue is currently being investigated.

To assist us in resolving this, please provide the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and OS version (accessible via Settings > System > About).
  • Tracker ID (to obtain this, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times when the issue occurs).
  • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to resolve the issue?
  • Who is your ISP (internet service provider) and what is the make and model of your router?

Thank you once again for your understanding and cooperation.

Best regards,
The Roku Community Team

Mary E.
Roku Community Moderator
Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku tv is never connected to internet

Jump to solution

Hi Community users,

Thank you for keeping us posted!

We understand that you are experiencing issues with the Roku TV as it was not able to detect or reconnect to your network after getting disconnected. We would be pleased to help you even more. Please try to factory reset your Roku TV by following the steps below.

1. Press the Home button on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select System.
  4. Select Advanced system settings.
  5. Select Factory reset.
  6. If you have a Roku TV, select Factory reset everything. Otherwise, move to the next step.
  7. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Using the physical button

Located on the back or bottom of your TV, the physical Reset button is either tactile or pinhole-designed and requires a straightened paperclip to open. Once you locate the Reset button and your Roku TV is powered on, press and hold the button firmly for about 10 seconds.

Please let us know if the issue is fixed or reply to the thread for further assistance, we will be glad to help you.

Best regards,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
266 REPLIES 266
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: My Onn TV won't stay connected to wifi even though I have a excellent internet connection

Jump to solution

Hi @Normdeb72,

We appreciate the response!

Please note that a few recent network connection problems have been reported that have been caused by updates to routers. These have primarily been reported with routers supplied by internet providers, but it's possible they could also occur with user-owned routers that have received updates.

• ROKU LOCATES NETWORK BUT CAN NOT CONNECT
      Some router updates have changed the router's security setting from b/g/n to just g/n, causing some Roku models to lose their ability to connect to the network. The solution is to set the router's configuration back to using b/g/n security.

• ROKU CAN NOT FIND LOCAL WIFI NETWORK
      Some routers (reported from Xfinity and Cox, but there may be others) have had their 2.4 GHz WiFi band turned off, leaving only the 5 GHz band operational. Devices with single-band WiFi radios, notably Roku Express and Premiere models (but not Express 4K models), and many other single-band devices, can not even see the 5 GHz band. The solution is to reconfigure the router and turn the 2.4 GHz band back on.

If this problem was not caused by a router update deactivating the 2.4 GHz band, often a restart of the router (even if other devices are still connecting) followed by a restart of the Roku via Settings > System > System restart (for Roku TV it's Settings > System > Power > Restart) will allow the connection to be re-established.

If you need to make configuration changes on equipment supplied by your internet provider but have no access to its settings, you may request your internet provider to make the changes.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
mspljackson
Reel Rookie

My Roku tv keeps disconnecting from my wifi

Jump to solution

For the past 2 weeks, my TCL roku has been disconnecting itself from my wifi randomly. I've been in the middle of watching shows and it all of a sudden says " not connected ", but my wifi is still connected to all of the other tvs in the house. I have had to unplug the TV for a while, and then replug it to get connection back to this TV. 

This has happened everyday , and has become nerve wrecking. Any suggestions on how to make this stop happening ? 

Bullwinkle68
Binge Watcher

Re: My Roku tv keeps disconnecting from my wifi

Jump to solution

I had 2 Rokus. One (older one still works). The newly purchased one had same problem.  I exchanged it for the same model the same day.  Had the same problem.  After reading all the form letter replies to this problem, and getting the same bs answers from Roku support, I FINALLY spoke to someone in support that admitted it was a software issue.  Said it had “priority status” to be fixed.  Hmmmm…. The problem was first reported on this forum over a year ago !  I’m not mad about the software having a glitch but rather how Roku has not addressed it and knew about it for over a year ! 
So I solved the problem myself.  I returned the second bad Roku and purchased a competitors streamer. Works great and about $40 cheaper. 
PROBLEM SOLVED !  

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @mspljackson 

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the Roku Community.

We appreciate you for sharing the problem you've encountered with your TCL Roku TV that keeps disconnecting from your network, and we're here to assist. We'd recommend performing the troubleshooting steps below in order to resolve the issue.

Restart your Roku TV

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Power. If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.
  5. Select System restart

Restart your network connection

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select Advanced system settings
  4. Select Network connection reset
  5. Select Reset connection

After the network reset is done, your Roku device will restart and you will need to return to the Settings menu and set up your wireless network again. It is also recommended to restart your network modem/router for better results.

If none of the steps above resolve the issue, kindly connect to an alternative network, such as an active mobile hotspot, to see if you're able to maintain a connection. If it does, then the issue is likely rooted in your modem/router, and you'll need to contact your Internet Service Provider to address the issue.

Keep us posted on what you find out.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I have tried all the things listed and EVERY time I turn on my Roku TV, I have to reconnect to the internet. I also have issues in the middle of watching something. I bought a Roku TV because we had issues with our other Roku device. This is really pissing me off. 

Sarah726
Channel Surfer

Roku TV Suddenly Unable to Connect to Network

Jump to solution

About a week ago, my Roku TV stopped automatically connecting to my wifi when turning on. All other home devices are connected fine. I have reset and unplugged my router, and unplugged the tv. When in Network/setup connection menu, the wireless scan with just scan forever and not show me a list of networks. To work around this, I must do a system restart under the power menu every time I turn on the tv. Any suggestions?

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Wifi Not Connecting, always have to restart system

Jump to solution

Try enabling "Fast TV start" under Settings->System->Power.  Let us know if that helps.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Windman67

Re: My Onn TV won't stay connected to wifi even though I have a excellent internet connection

Jump to solution

I own own 7 of these for my Airbnb 's this is not a one off problem. It is a problem with everyone of our TV's. It's not the router it has nothing to do with the Internet but everything to do with the TV. We need these to be fixed for guests. 

0 Kudos
Sarah726
Channel Surfer

Re: Wifi Not Connecting, always have to restart system

Jump to solution

No luck 😞

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.