Issue Tracking Board

Status updates, outage reports, fixes, and workarounds. Subscribe to a thread be notified of updates!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Remote skips or jumps over multiple channel tiles

We are receiving reports from users that when navigating the Roku home screen, remote button presses will skip or hop over multiple channel tiles at once.

This issue is currently Under Investigation. 

Workaround - Restarting your Roku device from the Settings menu (Settings > System > Power > Restart) will temporarily resolve this issue if you are experiencing it.

Thank you for your patience as we work to solve this issue. You can hit the subscribe button to be notified of updates.

Roku Community Team

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.
Labels (1)
229 REPLIES 229

Remote not working skips channels

This is so stupid. It should not be so complicated for Roku developers to explain the issue and how to resolve it, without having to resort to 1980’s tricks of turning off lights, standing in front of Roku box, etc. Shall I grab the TV antenna and move it around until I get a signal?????

I am having the same issue of remote skipping channels. It is inconsistent, too. When I try to duplicate the problem by clicking quickly, it works. When I just click normally, then the issue reoccurs. Is Roku remote just **bleep**ing with me!?

Come on Roku team. Get your **bleep** together.

Re: Remote not working skips channels

When on Roku Home Screen, remote does not skip. This makes more confusing.

Re: Remote not working skips channels

I tried two things and so far, one of them worked. First, be sure that your Roku box does not have a piece of clear plastic over the front light on the box, the box that came with the device. This was most likely the problem. If so, I feel like an idiot and apologize to the Roku team.

at the same time, I went to Roku Home Screen, settings, system, advance system settings, network connection reset, and reset the connection. 

one of these worked….So far. I still don’t understand why I initially could not duplicate the problem when clicking up/down on Roku Home Page, but whatever.

GEODEA62
Reel Rookie

ultra plus rechargeable remote skips

My remote suddenly starting skipping through choices within sites. I can watch the first item offered but when I try to move to the 2nd one the remote cursor jumps 3 or 4 items down. I can never get it to stop on the second or third item I tried to get around it by using search. Cursor runs to the end of each row and sometimes up to the next row. No way I can watch anything within a site that i choose. What do I do?

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: ultra plus rechargeable remote skips

Hi @GEODEA62,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Thanks for bringing the remote issue to our attention. We would be more than glad to help you out with this. You can try to restart your Roku streaming device to resolve the issue. To do this, go to Settings < System > Power > System Restart. After this reboot, check to see if you notice any difference.

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Maryann129

Remotes skipping multiple channels

I have a Roku Express 4K+ streaming device with voice control remote.  A few days ago my voice remote started skipping two or three channels at a time making it impossible to choose a channel. I changed the batteries and unplugged and replugged the device. Nothing fixed it. So I just bought a new Roku voice remote and it is doing the SAME thing. I just bought my Roku in February so it’s disappointing that this is happening. I also can’t believe I spent money buying a new remote and it’s doing the same thing. Please help!

csargent

Re: Remotes skipping multiple channels

I can't answer this question, I am looking for and answer too!  Mine is doing the same thing, almost never lands on one spot, goes over several making it impossible to choose anything.

Millsies

Mine is doing the same thing, it started happening 4-5 days ago. I try to click to choose a show (ie, antiques road show) and it skips over the one I want and will stop 5,6,7-8 shows away (ie living in Alaska). It does it no matter which direction, up, down, left & right. I have 3 different roku boxes and it is the same on all so it is a programming, not mechanical issue. Also another new unpleasant development is when watching a show, again Antiques Roadshow I get approximately 2 minutes of show and then it goes to a 2 minute countdown of blank time, no commercial, just repetitive music and a show specific background, seriously???

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

For the "remote skipping" problem, try restarting your Roku. (Note that if yours is a Roku TV with "Fast start" enabled, turning it off and back on just puts it into and out of a standby state and does NOT give you a complete restart.)

Depending on your Roku model and Roku version number you'll find the "System restart" option under "Settings > System > Power" or if not there, under "Settings > System".

If a restart doesn't do it, or if you don't have sufficient control with the remote to navigate the Roku menus, you can also restart by pulling the power plug to the Roku for a few seconds then plugging it back in and waiting for it to restart.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X