Issue Tracking Board

Status updates, outage reports, fixes, and workarounds. Subscribe to a thread be notified of updates!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
djt43
Channel Surfer

Overheating AND Missing characters in text boxes and Scrambled Graphics

Missing Characters AND now overheating after 10 minutes of use…

Unbelievable.

A year of back and forth BS about the engineers ‘being aware of the issue’ blah blah blah.

So, like so many others I swapped the SS + with another NIB of roughly the same vintage I had been planning to use on another tv when that basic SS stopped working (no problems, all text showing properly on the screen).

No change on the character problem, still a problem…but now it’s throwing the ‘overheating’ warning after 10 minutes of use.

What does chat support tell me?Return it and replace the unit. I can’t return it at this point.

The new unit has uptime of 12 days and i’m being told to scrap it.

I used to try to calm people when they had tech meltdowns, to the ‘these things suck’ i would say ‘it’s pretty amazing what we are capable of doing, even if sometimes they can be glitchy and annoying’.

No more. 

If another manufacturer makes a better product then that should be the baseline. 

No more gimmees and artificial handicapping to allow for their unwillingness to improve their products.

0 Kudos
JazzyJT08
Reel Rookie

Re: Overheating AND Missing characters in text boxes and Scrambled Graphics

So I’m no expert but the issue has something to do with how the OS deals with text/graphics when going into an application and then it kind of sticks (all those graphical and text errors) to the app and then the OS, and then the only fix is a restart. 

This happens to me on a daily basis - easily 10-15 times a day. I can navigate to the restart button by muscle memory but it’s just absolutely ridiculous.

Hardware issue likely wouldn’t temporarily fix even with restart so this has to be a combo of the OS and apps and how they’re coded. Obviously we never had this issue until what…2-3 years ago? I’d be curious to find out when this was first reported and I’d even like to find an old Roku device with that build and see if the issue is present at all.

such a joke it’s come to this 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.