Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hrsemn4
Reel Rookie

Multiple Problems with Roku Ultra

Model: 4800X - Roku Ultra

Remote Model - RC-EL3

Using Wifi via Linksys Velop

Existing support ticket: 4347144

I have put this in the most basic support category as it pertains to multiple support issues.

I am having four issues with my unit.  All of which I have contacted Roku support about.

1) Roku will drop wifi connection and cannot "see" my home network to reconnect.  Started about 2 months after purchase/setup and has continued.  This can occasionally be resolved by resetting my cable modem, my wifi mesh units, the roku, or some combination of the three.  Other times, I simply have to leave it overnight and it "fixes" itself.  All other wifi devices have no issues during the roku "black out"

2) The remote is not sending commands reliably.  The remote app on my phone is consistent, so that eliminates the Roku unit as the issue; it must be the remote.  It will send 2-3 commands, then hang, before picking up again for another 2-3 commands.  The indicator light on the Roku does not blink, which tells me that the remote is not sending a signal.

3) The remote devours batteries.  I suspect this is related to the lagging issue, like the remote cannot reliably connect to the unit and keeps retrying, much in the way a cell phone might use more battery if it keeps searching for a wifi signal.  A pair of batteries has been consumed in a day or less.

4) The replacement remote (sent to fix issues 2 & 3) does not reliably connect to the unit.  It will send commands, but the pairing light continues to blink.  In addition, it cannot be programmed to control the TV volume and power.  The screen says my "enhanced remote is asleep".

Roku support has suggested resetting my Roku unit, which I have done, but the wifi issue continues.  Each time I reset it, I have to setup all channels again and rearrange them so my kids can easily find their channels.  This is not a suitable fix for a chronic problem.  For the remote lagging, Roku has suggested changing my wifi channel, which I also did, and the problem persists.  They have replaced my remote, but the problems continue.  They are now sending me a replacement unit, but I have to send mine back first.  During the interim, I will be without Roku content, and once it arrives, I will have to login to all channels and rearrange again.

I have searched for these issues and I am not alone.  These are clearly bigger issues with the hardware and Roku needs to acknowledge it and work to fix it for all devices.  I'm very disappointed as I very much enjoyed the device when it worked properly.

I would prefer if the support staff would divert from their "script" and really listen/read the issues I'm having and the solutions already tried.  No one has been rude or dismissive, and I feel they are genuinely trying to help, but it often seems like they just run down a list instead of really being attentive to the customer's concerns and efforts taken prior to contacting them.

10 REPLIES 10
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Multiple Problems with Roku Ultra

@Hrsemn4 

Good explanation of your issues.  I would assume that Issue #1 and #4 are probably related to a network configuration or compatibility issue with the Ultra.  Most of the Velop mesh routers seem to be tri-band (post your model number to confirm this).  As such, they operate 5ghz on two frequencies (a lower channel and an upper channel).  This means a device will "roam" (disconnect and reconnect) between these two channels automatically.  The Roku will only operate re: 5ghz on channels 36 and 48 (lower) and channels 149-161 (higher).  It will also see 165, but don't use as a selection.

As such, you need to verify that your router Wireless Settings are configured with those channels mentioned above.  If you are set to Auto (or can see in those settings that if either the lower or higher channel is set to use 52-140 or some combination of...), then there is a possibility that the router is switching to an an unsupported channel at times, resulting in disconnection and an inability to reconnect.  Then you restart your modem/router, the router reconfigures, you connect again, the router changes channels again, and you again lose connection in a cycle.

Essentially, you have to verify that you can manually configure a compatible channel for the Roku on both the lower and higher frequencies of the 5 ghz band.  It may also help to experience with lowering the bandwidth (channel width) to a setting lower than you are currently using. (if using 80 mhz, try 40.  If using 40, try 20, or 20/40).   

The remote uses a hidden network that follows your device around on these same settings so would not be uncommon to become unresponsive when losing connection or experiencing some interference.  This is what would lead me to think related to network configuration.  I occasionally have to tap my remote or remove and reinstall batteries to get it to be responsive again.  Rather than sleep mode, I think it sometimes falls into a coma.

In addition to verifying the above settings in your 5 ghz settings, you can try operating the Ultra on your 2.4 ghz band and see if you experience a better, more reliable connection.  If so, then would reinforce suspicions that issue is with the 5 ghz configuration.  Definitely not ruling out Roku device as culprit, but need to eliminate network configuration first.

All the above becomes moot if you can use an ethernet connection for the Ultra. (except the remote issue).  If you can't do ethernet, then need to get the wi-fi figured out.

The remote issues #2 and # 3... Plenty of posts here with just a batch of bad remotes draining batteries etc.  Maybe @Tivoburkee can provide more insight into these issues as he knows these remotes inside and out.

Feel free to post back with any updates or if you need more help.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
littlemary
Channel Surfer

I hear 'ya brother.  Ditto to everything you posted.  I'm having EXACTLY the same issues.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@littlemary

Thanks for the post.
Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
littlemary
Channel Surfer

I'm getting "HDCP Error" every time I try to use the Roku.  I have tried EVERYTHING.  I've done the seven steps mentioned, but no dice.  I've purchased a switch to bypass the HDCP error, and that didn't work either.  I have a slightly older Vizio TV set, connected to a Verizon Fios cable box.  And now the Roku.  I've tried other HDM1 cables, no dice.  The problem is that my HDM1 connections are probably not doing a proper handshake with the HDCP protocols that have been instituted.  I can't even use my old Roku now!!!  I'm sorry I ever heard the name Roku!

0 Kudos
renojim

@littlemary, does the error go away when you unplug the power to the Roku and plug it back in?  Does your Roku device have a "power saving" option under Settings->System->Power?  If so, disable it.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
littlemary
Channel Surfer

No, it doesn't go away after I do what you suggested.  I have somewhere to go soon, so I can't do it now, but I will try disabling that setting if it is there.  Also, I may have the switch (which I shouldn't need) connected wrong.  I'll mess with that and the settings tonight also.  I also missed out on a whole week of free trials because the Roku didn't work!  Pisses me off!  I am not alone with the error code popping up.  There are whole forums out there with people expressing the same concerns.

0 Kudos
renojim

@littlemary, if you get the error when you first power up the Roku then changing the "power saving" option isn't likely to help.  I don't know what else to suggest other than a warranty return since you've tried other HDMI cables.  Make sure you're using the supplied power adapter and not the TV's USB port, if applicable (this thread is about the Ultra, so that wouldn't apply).  I do recall seeing issues with some Vizio TVs, but I don't recall seeing a solution.

Step-by-step instructions for returns and warranty replacements | Official Roku Support

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
littlemary
Channel Surfer

Finally I had a chance to reconfigure the connections on my switch (which I shouldn't need).  It has two inputs and one output.  I unplugged EVERYTHING again, put the cable box connection into the one input, and the Roku in the other.  From the output, I put an HDM1 cable and plugged that into one of the HDM1 ports on the TV.  Perfection!  Of course I do have to get up off my backside to flip the switch, but it's a small price to pay after a week of **bleep**.  I was sent a brand new Roku just in case.  I will just ship that one back.  Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
1825David

We have the same problem using a Vizio smart TV that is around 10 years old.

Had a number of chat and email exchanges with Roku about it. We went through a few re-boots and everything seemed fine to them, until a day or two later when the problem returned. The seller - to their credit - even replaced the Roku for me, but no improvement with the new one. Roku offered an extender but then withdrew the offer saying the extender only works with their streaming stick unit. Finally they suggested turning off the power saver option.

Quite accidentally we discovered that by simply turning the TV off and back on again (using the Roku remote) the problem disappears at least for a few days. Bizarre.

0 Kudos