Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Left town without remote; how to set up 3800 stick without remote

Jump to solution

To save space in my suitcase I did not bring the remote control for my Roku stick 3800 with me. I was planning to use the mobile app on my cell phone, which works fine at home. Now I find out that I cannot access anything without this remote control. Is there some way for me to use the Roku while I am away from home?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Left town without remote; how to set up 3800 stick without remote

Jump to solution

If you could change the network name and passcode to match the one at home, perhaps then you could get the phone to work, if not, no you differently need a remote. Are there walmart or best buy near by, they sell wifi voice remote rc-al7r separately there.

Edmund

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 17

Jump to solution

If you could change the network name and passcode to match the one at home, perhaps then you could get the phone to work, if not, no you differently need a remote. Are there walmart or best buy near by, they sell wifi voice remote rc-al7r separately there.

Edmund

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

Is there anyway to connect to the device to establish a network connection either through the rokus ssid or plugging it into my labtop via usb or hdmi

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

@Eatmass wrote:

Is there anyway to connect to the device to establish a network connection either through the rokus ssid or plugging it into my labtop via usb or hdmi

Plugging in the HDMI into a TV just shows the Roku menu on the screen but it shows as not being connected. Without the remote I don't see any way of being able to connect. The Roku stick also has a tiny USB port but I believe this would only work to power the device, not connect to it.  It has its own SSID but there is no password that I can find to be able to access it. I think they use that SSID to connect the remote control to the wireless network. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

@Tivoburkee wrote:

I'm staying at an Airbnb, so I don't think the host is going to let me change the network name and password. Good idea though!

0 Kudos