Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

external harddrive is being scanned when not in use by my Roku Tv?

I noticed that my external harddrive was being scanned by my Roku Tv when I was watching regular Tv, the external hard drive just stores my movies that I have saved over the years?

I read the terms and conditions about extrnal devices and it is not clear what is being done with the users information that is being obtained via external drive scanning and indexing?

Hey I'm just sayin.....

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Re: external harddrive is being scanned when not in use by my Roku Tv?

Hi @johnlowman31

Thank you for the post.

It's possible that your external hard drive is being scanned by your Roku TV even when it's not in use. This could be due to the Roku TV's automatic media player feature, which scans for compatible media files on connected devices such as USB drives or network-attached storage (NAS) devices.

To disable the automatic media player feature on your Roku TV, follow these steps:

• Go to the Home screen on your Roku TV.
  • Navigate to "Settings" and select it.
  • Select "System" from the settings menu.
  • Scroll down and select "Advanced system settings."
  • Scroll down to "Control other devices (CEC)" and select it.
  • Turn off the "1-touch play" and "System audio control" options.

Disabling these options should prevent your Roku TV from scanning your external hard drive for media files when it's not in use. If you still experience issues, you may want to try disconnecting the external hard drive when it's not needed.

We hope it helps!

Warm regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos