Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thegreatdruid
Channel Surfer

displays wrong model #, wrong serial # after update ... apps do not stay up. then no internet access

apps crash constantly, and won't stay up, then says internet access is < 1.  restarting and rebooting the roku does not work.  recycling the modem does not work.  nothing corrects problem for more than 5 minutes.

tried factory reset multiple times and that does not work either ... stays up for 5-10 minutes before saying no internet access.

after factory reset, noticed on the roku display screen and on my account information that the wrong "model number" and wrong "serial number" were associated with my account.  also, roku message says to try voice activation, but my roku nor remote has voice activation feature.

apparently, a bad update was transmitted, for my device, and it has screwed up my roku ... this has been going on for about 6 weeks, but has gotten much worse and much more frequent as of late.

my roku model is 3930X and serial number is S0092070MY72... but the roku display and account info says it is 3930RW and X0040000MY72.

please fix the problem, and correct your update issue ... I should be receiving the correct update after doing a factory reset.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: displays wrong model #, wrong serial # after update ... apps do not stay up. then no internet...

Hi @thegreatdruid,

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community!

We'd love to take a closer look into this issue that you're having with your Roku device. Could you send us a photo or video of your running problem? When did the issue start?

We'll wait for your response, and we will continue to assist you further.

Thanks,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: displays wrong model #, wrong serial # after update ... apps do not stay up. then no internet ac

@thegreatdruid, Roku devices have two unique numbers - a Device ID and a serial number.  Roku has often mixed the two up labeling a Device ID as a serial number or vice versa.  If you look under Settings->System->About you'll see both of them listed.  As for the model number, the letters after the four digit number are pretty much meaningless.  "RW" stands for Retail/Walmart which generally means it was purchased at Walmart, but I've received devices directly from Roku with the RW suffix.

As for the other problems, the first thing I would suspect is the power source.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
thegreatdruid
Channel Surfer

Re: displays wrong model #, wrong serial # after update ... apps do not stay up. then no internet...

hello,

we noticed the issues starting about 6 or 7 weeks ago (sometime in late October) ... and the problems have steadily gotten worse over time.  what started out as occasional outages, became more frequent, until we were unable to bring up any channel at all on the Roku device.

restarting the Roku device and restarting the modem did not work, and only in the last week have I tried doing the factory reset, once from the menu, and once from the hard reset on the actual device.

the message about using voice commands has not occurred again, so I was unable to get a snapshot of that.

I have some photos but cannot seem to get them into this response. I tried the "insert/edit image" button, but that does not work.  any suggestions how to post the jpeg pictures?

0 Kudos
thegreatdruid
Channel Surfer

Re: displays wrong model #, wrong serial # after update ... apps do not stay up. then no internet ac

thanks @renojim  ... I looked under the "settings-system-about" screen and can see my serial number from the back of my device is listed as the "device id" on that display.  that at least answers that concern about the serial number.  and yes, I did purchase the model from Walmart ... so that makes sense too... thanks.

Question ... what do you mean by a problem with the power source (the adaptor for the Roku device)?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@thegreatdruid wrote:

Question ... what do you mean by a problem with the power source (the adaptor for the Roku device)?

Yes.  I think those USB power adapters and the USB cable are the weak link, so try different cables and/or another power adapter like from a phone or tablet.  Sometimes it's just a matter of the connections being dirty or corroded.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
thegreatdruid
Channel Surfer

@RokuJohnB 

I have done MULTIPLE "system restarts", "system reboots" and even "factory resets" NUMEROUS TIMES on both of my Roku devices.

I performed the factory resets using the Roku menu screen, as well as the hard reset button on the back of the Roku device.

I have also performed multiple modem recycles, and physically unplugged the power cord of the Roku device.

I am using Consolidated Communications, and IT IS NOT a VPN network.

The problem appears to be with your 12.5 update ... ever since then, I have been experiencing problems, and receiving messages telling me to use voice command functionality.  the problems started about 2 months ago.

Neither my Roku device nor remote has voice command functionality ... obviously a problem with the 12.5 update which was pushed out. Obviously, the 12.5 update is INCOMPATIBLE with my 3930X device.

I have NEVER received messages about using voice commands before ... the devices were working great for about 2 years before the new update caused my problems.

to reiterate the problems ... APPS do not start, the Roku display is sometimes blank, and IF the APP does start, the app sits and spins and does not start the selected programs.  repeated messages come up about no wireless connection available or if it recognizes the connection, the poor internet connection message displays.

finally, I tried posting pictures, but this community site does not accept my pictures nor photos.

0 Kudos
thegreatdruid
Channel Surfer

@renojim 

I changed the power supply cord, and the cable ... neither fixed the problem.  I still think it is a problem with the latest 12.5 upgrade, because my devices worked perfectly for 2 years prior to that.

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @thegreatdruid,

We appreciate you providing all these details here in the Roku Community!
We sincerely regret any inconvenience this may have caused you. We would like to look further into this issue, but we need more details. Please provide us with the following information:

1. Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  2. Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version or build is it? (This can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button.)
  3. Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue, press the Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times, and provide us with this ID).
  4. Photo of the issue that you are experiencing. If you can't attach a photo here, you can message us. Select the name of a user. Once redirected to the profile, select "Send this user a private message."

We'll be waiting for your response.
Best regards,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.