Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paul_M1
Reel Rookie

Why can't Roku give us a remote with a number pad that works with streaming apps?

We really like Roku and it's remote, but there is one obvious downfall and that is lack of numeric pad support.  I'm sorry, but this should be easy enough and most people will know the "channel numbers" of their favorite stations which would so much faster for switching that scrolling in streaming apps.  I feel like this is a complete step back in time having to go around the horn if you will to get to channels that are very far apart.  Case in point, I have a directv streaming box where I can change channel by all the methods roku has OR just punch in the channel number I want and be there super fast!   If watching directv app on my roku devices, I lose that option completely and have to resort to the double arrows on the guide or just slowing change stations when they could be 70 or more channels apart!  Other apps could also benefit.  like plutotv, sling, etc if designed to work with numbers.  How much easier it would be to just punch in the number you want, then to scroll around?  Setting up favorites helps, but if you have a lot of them, you are still scrolling through which is ridiculous.  Just build in a number pad upgraded remote and make it work with your apps or channels and we would have the amazing option to quickly jump from one channel to another!  You could also design the upgraded remote to change source to over the air, control channel numbers on the TV, and not just the power and volume.  This would make it more of a universal style roku remote.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Why can't Roku give us a remote with a number pad that works with streaming apps?

@Paul_M1This has been requested for years..

Meanwhile, the Roku Remote app for iOS and Android includes an on screen virtual keyboard.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.