Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lipeis
Binge Watcher

White gray and font subtitle request

Jump to solution

It's unbelievable that in 3 years no one at Roku team reserve 5 minutes to work on a REAL White subtle and a better font family or at least Bold options because it only has thin fonts... I buy a 50' TV and can't read subtitles just because nobody of Roku team gives a shi...

Thank you Roku Team, you did NOTHING in 3 years of customers asking for decent subtitles... 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gman1229
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I do not know when because I can't find any blog/update notes about it, but "Bright White" is now an option for caption color!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi there, @lipeis

Thanks for your inquiry. 

Have you attempted to personalize the closed captions to your preferences? It may be worth trying to see if you can find the caption style that you are seeking. For channels that use the closed captioning settings available on your Roku device, there are three style elements that can be customized – text, background, and window.

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. To open the Style menu, select Accessibility and then Caption style. If Accessibility is not listed, select Captions.
  4. Adjust each style element. A preview appears with an example of the changes.
    • Text – style (font) / edge effect / size / color / opacity
    • Background – color / opacity
    • Window – color / opacity

You may also refer to this link: How to enable closed captioning

Does this help? Keep us posted. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
lipeis
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Hi @RokuNimfa-C ... Maybe you didn't understand so I will explain to you ☺️

If you search for subtitle/ captions color or font problem, will get very old topics from 2020, 2021, and nothing happened, no body from ROKU'S team, dev department or some like that cares about.. So when I decided to write that new topic here,.it was because once again I was watching an series' episode on PLEX channel (that doesn't have own subs and uses Roku subtitles) that made me angry because some parts of the episode depending on the lights and background at the scene I just couldn't read. Why? Because Roku team think Gray is white and thin fonts are great, does not need to have options like a simple BOLD..

Now you ask me: Have you tried to change subtitles setting? ☺️ And my answer is: Yes! I've tried that, many others tried that Before getting here and post many topics asking Why on $500 ROKU'S TVs the white subs are Gray and can't have good family fonts as all other TVs with android, WebOS, Tizen... 

I didn't mean to be rude, just my feelings expression about Roku system and devs.

Hope you have a happy Easter 🙂

0 Kudos
ChippyTech
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience with your Roku device's subtitle options.

While it's sad that the Roku team hasn't solved this issue in three years, I recommend contacting them personally to express your concerns. They may be able to share more information about their future plans to improve subtitle options on their devices. If subtitles are a must-have feature for you, you may want to look at other streaming devices that provide better possibilities.

0 Kudos
lipeis
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Hello @ChippyTech @ friend, are you a member of Roku team? Seems not to be... First:  Is here a place to post concerns about ROKU'S devices? Yes! That's the community of costumers of Roku... When you buy any expensive device your expectation is a good software to manage that new device and Roku has a good software, but captions / subtitles have to be updated/upgraded. If you don't care about subtitles, if you don't use them, ok! But Roku sells their products all over the world, and other countries need subtitles to watch foreign content, so it's not "my concern", many costumers use subtitles, many costumers came here to post or reply others topics about subtitles problem...  Many costumers expect a solution for "my concern" because if you understand a little bit of programming, you know it's not so difficult to implement the right color (real white) and a better font family with bold option. 

So I think your "advice" (buy another device) is not the right one in this case.  If some day you need captions or subtitles you will understand "my concerns"... And if you know how I can contact ROKU'S team personally, please let me know... Have a nice day...

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@lipeis

Thanks for following up and providing us with detailed information. We value your feedback and rest assured we will share it with the team for review. Feel free to check our blog for any future announcements or updates.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Regards, 
Nimfa

Gman1229
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I do not know when because I can't find any blog/update notes about it, but "Bright White" is now an option for caption color!

lipeis
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Yes! It's a miracle!!! Now everyone can see the difference between old "Roku`s white" and new option "bright white" (or real white for everyone around the world" lol!

Thank you Roku team, years passed but now you did it! 

0 Kudos
Tony1949
Reel Rookie

Re: White gray and font subtitle request

Jump to solution

Clicked on your "blog" link, and it took me to Roku page with ads to watch shows, but no "blog"!!!

why do you post a fake link to a non existent " blog"?

0 Kudos