Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davistw
Reel Rookie

Use Bluetooth Headphone without muting the TV

Jump to solution

My family has been a Roku fan for years. I have all my TV's Roku'ed... So when my 65 inch TCL/Roku TV died after years of service, I bought a "Roku Plus Series QLED 4K Smart RokuTV". I love it. It came with Bluetooth builtin to connect my headphones to and it works like a champ. However, when I connect with my headphones using it, it disables the normal sound and the other listeners cant hear the TV. I have hearing loss and use the headphones to listen to the TV so the rest of the family can listen at the same time comfortably. Is there a way to stop the TV from disabling the normal sound while using the Bluetooth headphones?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuRiamie-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Use Bluetooth Headphone without muting the TV

Jump to solution

Hi @davistw,

We get that you want to connect your headphones to your Roku Plus Series 4K TV, but doing so disables the TV's normal sound. We'll be more than happy to provide you with more information about this.

When you use headphones from any Roku device or TV, the headphones activate the headphone mode, which mutes the TV speaker. As a result, anyone else in the room cannot hear the audio from the Roku TV while headphones are connected.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,
Riamie

Riamie D.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuRiamie-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @davistw,

We get that you want to connect your headphones to your Roku Plus Series 4K TV, but doing so disables the TV's normal sound. We'll be more than happy to provide you with more information about this.

When you use headphones from any Roku device or TV, the headphones activate the headphone mode, which mutes the TV speaker. As a result, anyone else in the room cannot hear the audio from the Roku TV while headphones are connected.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,
Riamie

Riamie D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
davistw
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks, I understand that. However, that eliminates a whole population of users that like me are hearing impaired with families that are not hearing impaired that simply want to use headphones to join in the TV watching without disabling their sound. The only solution you provide would be to not use the headphones and turn up the volume on the TV. To turn it up at that point becomes uncomfortable for them and pretty much eliminates 'Family Time".  I would suggest ROKU provide a solution where the "disabling" of the TV sound while using the headphones could be turned off. It would open up a lot of access to the hearing impaired population that wants to integrate with their family.

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@davistw -

I'd very much like to see this as an option myself.  Often requested, never implemented.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.