Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jerel_2

Tv turns off and on by itself

Jump to solution

Has anyone come across where your Roku tv turns on and off by itself? I have a 65 inch Onn roku. Just had it for about 4 days. I’ve looked on google some people have said using a wire hanger of some sort and hit the reset button and hold it for about 15 seconds. However, their tv is a different brand than mines. Can anyone help me out as to how to fix it?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Tv turns off and on by itself

Jump to solution

First thing I would try would be a system restart (not the same thing as turning off and on).  From the Roku home screen use menu path Settings > System > Power >  System restart.  (On a separate Roku device the menu path is Settings > System > System restart.)  If the problem you're having doesn't let you control the Roku via the remote, you can restart by pulling the power plug for 30 seconds or so then plugging back in.

If that doesn't fix it, the factory reset you were describing requires you to hold the reset button, which may be behind a pin hole, for a minimum of 30 seconds.  Alternately you can use menu path Settings > System > Advanced system settings > Factory reset. Either way this will clear out the unit's memory and you'll then have to set it up again as though it were a new unit right out of the box.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
25 REPLIES 25
makaiguy

Jump to solution

First thing I would try would be a system restart (not the same thing as turning off and on).  From the Roku home screen use menu path Settings > System > Power >  System restart.  (On a separate Roku device the menu path is Settings > System > System restart.)  If the problem you're having doesn't let you control the Roku via the remote, you can restart by pulling the power plug for 30 seconds or so then plugging back in.

If that doesn't fix it, the factory reset you were describing requires you to hold the reset button, which may be behind a pin hole, for a minimum of 30 seconds.  Alternately you can use menu path Settings > System > Advanced system settings > Factory reset. Either way this will clear out the unit's memory and you'll then have to set it up again as though it were a new unit right out of the box.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

0 Kudos
jeffuke
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This is not a reset-the-Roku problem.  I have it too, and it's because somewhere the Roku thinks there has been enough inactivity (video paused, no video chosen, etc.) that it's time to turn off the TV.  Conversely, if I wake up in the middle of the night sometimes the Roku has turned my TV on again.  This just started happening when I recently got my new Roku Streaming Stick 4K.  I think this product in general, not just mine, may have some faulty features because it seems to work fine otherwise.  Note that I do like it controlling TV volume but I sure don't need it to turn the TV on/off.

Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The OP was asking about a Roku TV, but for @jeffuke  - try turning off 1-touch play on the Roku (Under Home->Settings->System->Control other devices.)

makaiguy

Jump to solution

Roku operating system version 10.5 added a new "Power" item in the "Settings > System" menu for some of the latest Roku models. In my estimation, these power management options weren't very well thought out. If this is the cause of your problem, it has been reported that pressing the Roku remote's Home key should bring it to life.

If you have a "Settings > System > Power" menu item, under "Auto power savings" see if deactivating "After 20 minutes of no interaction" keeps the Roku from shutting down.

jeffuke
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Well I think that did it.  I also tried the solution from user Strega, so at least one of these solutions appears to have worked!  Thank you!

0 Kudos
jeffuke
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Well I tried your solution and also the one from Makaiguy, and the problem appears to be gone.  So one of these 2 solutions appears to have worked.  Thank you!

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue and tried all of these and nothing is working 

0 Kudos
Raelyce

Jump to solution

At the time my tv was on the floor pressing on the power button when I first got it 😂 So once I got it mounted, no issue. Have you tried unplugging it or anything like a reset?

0 Kudos
Althea64
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have the same issue. Here is what I have done so far. Power drain and reset. system restart, made sure one touch is disabled, screen saver disabled, no timer set, no CEC enabled, no fast start enabled. Changed batteries in remote (apparently low batteries can cause this issue). I am down to factory reset now, unless someone has any other ideas. But try any of my steps, they might help you.

0 Kudos