Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dragonboots2005
Roku Guru

The blue/purple-ish light on Express 4K+

I just replaced 2 eight year old Roku 3's and had black tape over the light cos it bugged me(too bright).  My question is with the new 4K+ that I bought:  Is it normal for the light to STAY on basically 24 hrs a day?  It goes off when you turn the tv off or the screensaver kicks in but I'll wake up later or look on a living room tv and they are ON again.  What's the deal?  I have the power saver option on after 2 hours, screensaver after 5 minutes, etc - I know all the tricks.  Is this light supposed to stay on??

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: The blue/purple-ish like on Express 4K+

Hi @dragonboots2005,

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community!

Please be advised that Roku streaming devices are designed to remain connected to the internet. There is no "power button" to press on or off. This easy-to-use design prevents confusion by enabling instant access to your player any time you turn on your TV or switch from another source (e.g., a cable box, a Blu-ray player, or a gaming console). If you unplug the Roku device from the wall outlet, that is when the light will completely turn off since no power is being provided to the device, which you can do anytime if you want to and if the light bothers you. In any case, you have nothing to worry about if the light is on.

If you have more inquiries, just let us know.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Dworsky

Eunice...

I just bought my second Roku Express 4K+ -- model 3941R2.

The second unit has a blue light on it that stays on all day and night just like the original poster said. On my first unit, the exact same model, the light goes out when the TV and Roku are off.

Why does my new unit have the blue light on all the time?

Thanks,

Edgar 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Dworsky, keep in mind that Roku devices don't turn off.  The power button on your remote is strictly for the TV.  The light should go off when the screensaver activates or it goes into "power saving" mode (if available and enabled).  If the light bothers you, the often recommended fix is to cover it with electrical tape.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.