Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ThisishT
Streaming Star

The Roku Express 4K+ has stopped performing automatic OS updates

The Roku OS has stopped automatically checking for software and channel updates. The Roku Express 4K+ device Software version: 13.1.4 Build: 1510-E4 Last updated: 7/31/24 1:05 am, Last checked: 8/5/24 3:22am. Today is 8/7/24. The Roku Settings > System > Software update > Check now page states "Your Roku player checks for software and channel updates automatically once per day You can also manually check for updates." I do not experience any service-related issues. I can play and/or watch any channel app I have installed. Does this indicate that updates are not needed?  

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: The Roku Express 4K+ has stopped performing automatic OS updates

@ThisishT   

I do have some Roku devices that I keep powered down (and unable to connect to the internet).  For those, I just perform the manual update (Settings/System/Software Update/[Check Now] ) if they have been off for an extended period. (weeks).

The Software Update just makes sure the OS and and installed channels/apps are up-to-date.  

I wouldn't fret if my device missed its daily check and just monitor if it continues to do this.  (your ISP may have performed an update or reset, or been down without your knowledge during the scheduled "time" that your device was scheduled.  Sometimes mine checks during the day, other times in the middle of the night.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

ThisishT
Streaming Star

Re: The Roku Express 4K+ has stopped performing automatic OS updates

I understand what you are saying. How many "missed its daily check scheduled time" would be considered a Roku OS or device issue 1, 2, 3 or more days. My device (sometimes) will also check during the day or in the middle of the night as the case maybe however the Roku OS has been very inconsistent as of late with the automatic scheduled "time" checks. Why is the "Last checked: date and time" that is associated with the Roku OS automatic scheduled time update information no longer being reported. The automatic "Last checked: date and time" / Last updated: date and time" information used to be included with the Roku OS after any update has been automatically performed. The Last checked and/or Last updated information will only refresh the information after the manually check now option has been selected.    

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.