Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV no longer works after Roku's Software Update

I have a perfectly good 9 year old TV with two HDMI inputs. My DVD player works with it and my laptop works with it. Since the Roku update, the Roku no longer works with my TV. At first I thought it was the Roku box. I bought a new Roku box. It worked fine until we got to the "checking for updates" part of the installation. After the update the new Roku no longer worked (TV says invalid signal). Roku tells me I need to contact the TV manufacturer for an update for the TV, so I do that. The manufacturer tells me there are no updates available and there will be no updates in the future. SO ROKU KILLED MY TV. A perfectly good TV with HDMI inputs will no longer work on any Roku box. I am SO TIRED of all this technology that DOESN'T WORK.

This problem exists on 3 different Roku model boxes that I have.  I returned the last one noting it was defective, before I realized it was a "death blow" update that Roku sent to my unit!  How can they NOT realize that many people keep TV's for more than a few years!!!

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuEmmanuel-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: TV no longer works after Roku's Software Update

Welcome, @BigHairyNScary!

Thank you for being a valued member of our Roku Community. We understand that the recent software update may have impacted your streaming experience, and we're here to help resolve any issues you're facing.

To assist you better, could you please provide us with more specific information about the problem you're encountering? Here are some details that would be helpful:

1. Specific issue: Please describe the issue you are experiencing after the software update.

2. Channel-specific or across all channels?: Does the issue occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device?

3. Error message: If you encounter any error messages while attempting to stream, please let us know the details.

4. Roku device details:

• Serial number/Device ID and OS version: [Found in Settings > System > About]
  5. Tracker ID: To help diagnose the issue, please provide the Tracker ID. You can retrieve this by pressing the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times when the issue occurs.

6. Photo of the issue: If possible, could you provide a photo of the problem you're seeing?

Your cooperation in providing these details will enable us to investigate and assist you more effectively. We're committed to ensuring your Roku experience is seamless and enjoyable.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

All the best,
Emman

Emmanuel-D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: Roku update just killed my TV

What latest features and what kind of TV update are we talking about?  My 2008 TV works fine with Roku.

Banned but back. Because why not?
Estanauly

TV no longer works after Roku's Software Update attempt

My Tv is actually a Roku tv by Hisense, and whatever update you pushed out now keeps it from coming on.  I was in the middle of watching a show and the screen went black.  I have had this tv for just over a year, this month.  There is no reason my screen should have done this.  So I tried turning the tv back on and it stayed on for 5 secs and went back off.  Just long enough for me to notice the "unable to update software"  error message.  I waited a minute or 2 and tried turning it back on and it then showed the Hisense Logo before shutting back off.  I waited 10 more minutes turned it back on and it was back on the error message so I tried to shift down to the cancel option but it turned off before I could.  I then unplugged the tv and waited 10 minutes, still no luck.  Finally I tried to reset the tv by pressing the reset button on the back and now all it does is switch on for 5 secs and turn back off. On, off, On, off.  Unplugged it for 2 hours and it still switches on and off by itself, every few seconds.  What the heck did you do to my TV?!!

0 Kudos
Estanauly

Re: TV no longer works after Roku's Software Update attempt

Another thing I forgot to mention.  I tried to turn off my modem, like someone else mentioned to do in order to disconnect my tv from wifi and keep it from trying to do the update long enough for it to come back on so I could change the settings.  This did not work as when I turned the tv on after unplugging my modem, it only stayed on long enough for me to see the message "searching for network" and then it shut off again.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.