Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bernd
Channel Surfer

Support for A/V Receivers

Jump to solution

I am looking for a Roku streaming device that in addition to the TV can also support controlling an A/V Receiver (on/off and volume).  Is there such a device, and if so, what is the model number.  Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Support for A/V Receivers

Jump to solution

Yes, CEC is a function of HDMI, and it's full name is HDMI-CEC. If you're using an optical connection, there's no way to use CEC. Unfortunately, I am not aware of any Roku remote that includes IR codes for anything but TVs, so there's no way to control the AVR using IR control with a Roku remote. Of course, Roku sells a couple of soundbars that have a Roku player built into them, so with those you do have a remote that controls the Roku and the soundbar audio. 🙂

The Roku Streaming Stick (all models) does not have an IR receiver, which is why universal IR remotes will not work with them. Since they are designed to connect directly to the TV, which all have their HDMI ports on the rear panel, there's no valid reason to include an IR receiver since it would be impossible to get a visual line of sight with the Stick when so connected.

RF (Radio Frequency) is a generic term for any device that uses something other than IR for its connection to another device. Bluetooth is one form of RF, while WiFi is another. Roku only used Bluetooth for a remote one time (the very old Roku 2 XS). All other RF remotes, such as today's Voice Remote, uses what Roku calls WiFi-Direct. It means it uses the same frequencies/channels that WiFi uses but makes a direct connection between the remote and the Roku. No WiFi network is involved or necessary for that direct connection. If you use a WiFi scanner program on a computer, you can usually see these random connections which show up as just another WiFi network in use on that specific radio band. But you can't connect to it, as it's a direct connection between the remote and the Roku and wouldn't provide a network connection to anything else. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I believe Roku mainly relies on CEC for controlling devices. Only the basic remotes have IR, and I'm not sure if those support other devices. The other remotes have NO IR on them at all (look for the LED in the front.)

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Since almost all AVRs support CEC, most Roku remotes will control the AVR volume through that link. Naturally, only remotes with volume buttons will do so. I have no problem controlling my Yamaha AVRs volume using the Roku remotes. While the Roku voice remotes have IR functions as well, they only have codes for TVs, so no way to program them to control an AVR with IR.

Dan

0 Kudos
Bernd
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks for the info.  However I am confused about the remote signal types (CEC, IR and RF). CEC seems to use HDMI for communication? My AV receiver is an older Sony and connected to the TV only via an digital optical cable (no HDMI support).  I know that some Roku sticks can control sound bars and work nicely via HDMI ARC .  Do you know of a Roku device that will allow me to control the TV and AV rec with the same remote?  I have looked at universal remotes but they seem to specifically say  that they do not work with streaming sticks.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Yes, CEC is a function of HDMI, and it's full name is HDMI-CEC. If you're using an optical connection, there's no way to use CEC. Unfortunately, I am not aware of any Roku remote that includes IR codes for anything but TVs, so there's no way to control the AVR using IR control with a Roku remote. Of course, Roku sells a couple of soundbars that have a Roku player built into them, so with those you do have a remote that controls the Roku and the soundbar audio. 🙂

The Roku Streaming Stick (all models) does not have an IR receiver, which is why universal IR remotes will not work with them. Since they are designed to connect directly to the TV, which all have their HDMI ports on the rear panel, there's no valid reason to include an IR receiver since it would be impossible to get a visual line of sight with the Stick when so connected.

RF (Radio Frequency) is a generic term for any device that uses something other than IR for its connection to another device. Bluetooth is one form of RF, while WiFi is another. Roku only used Bluetooth for a remote one time (the very old Roku 2 XS). All other RF remotes, such as today's Voice Remote, uses what Roku calls WiFi-Direct. It means it uses the same frequencies/channels that WiFi uses but makes a direct connection between the remote and the Roku. No WiFi network is involved or necessary for that direct connection. If you use a WiFi scanner program on a computer, you can usually see these random connections which show up as just another WiFi network in use on that specific radio band. But you can't connect to it, as it's a direct connection between the remote and the Roku and wouldn't provide a network connection to anything else. 

Dan

Bernd
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank!

0 Kudos
6E616D65
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Bernd 

I have essentially the same setup, with an old Onkyo receiver, it has video inputs, but component only, so they're not used. With no HDMI input, I also use the Toslink optical to connect audio from the TV.

I have a 4670X Ultra which has a remote with IR control of the power and volume on the receiver. It's true that the Roku only offers TV codes in the IR setup of the remote, but that can be changed to use AVR codes via a "secret screen".

The current Ultra model is 4802, so if someone with one wants to verify that the IR codes still can be swapped from  TV's to AVR's, that would be your answer. 

Home 5x, >>, down. <<, down, >>, RF remote menu, IR XMT menu, Disable querying AVR's (instead of TV's)

That last menu item is what I currently see. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.