Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
C_I
Roku Guru

Re: Subtitles keep turning on

Jump to solution

@Hoosierferg wrote:

I agree. Just started a couple of weeks ago for me, too. I'm also experiencing some reduced stability in Sling but can't recall if it has happened in other apps. Basically, when trying to load a channel from the guide, it shuts down Sling and reverts to the bouncing Roku letters, like when you turn on the TV. ... I do watch the CBSN app a lot. Hopefully, Roku is working on it.

If it just happens with the Sling app, take it up with Sling. Roku has absolutely no control over that app. But if it happens elsewhere, go to settings>system>system restart and see if that clears it up. 

0 Kudos
Qwertymom

Jump to solution

Hi folks, I scanned over all 11 pages of this thread briefly. This problem started for me two weeks ago after doing some diagnostic testing, I deem the problem is a Roku software issue. The subtitle problem was happening so I turn them off in Roku Master settings rebooted the device, still off. check many apps netflix, prime, hulu, sling, YouTube, PBS, locast, newsy, I turn on CBS news app, bam, I have subtitles. I checked the other apps, they now have subtitles I checked the master Roku settings from the home screen the master subtitles are turned on. The problem is Roku that a third party software seemingly being CBS in this instance is able to adjust your master settings. 

Boom! Diagnosed you can send the check to my post office box I charge $450 an hour.... Now please fix.... Thank you in advance

RocPicCom
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

This is even on my live TV over the air channels, even if I have turned off subtitles while I am viewing CBSN, then switch to the Home screen, then I select Live TV for my local OTA news, and there are subtitles again, needing to be turned off. ROKU broke my Smart TV, and made it a #Dumbass

Olivianna

Jump to solution

I am experiencing the same issue. It is definitely with Roku and not the individual channels. I turn closed captions from “always on” to “off” on Roku’s settings. Then I go to any channel and I get captions. Again, this happens with any channel. I look at the channel’s closed caption settings and they are on “always on.” I turn them off.  Then I return to Roku’s settings and it is set to closed captions “always on.” I return to the channel and the channel’s closed captions are “always on” as well

It seems that Roku is turning on closed captions on in their main settings and in the individual channel whenever I try to watch a channel. The problem is definitely with the Roku system. 

wsanders1
Channel Surfer

Re: Subtitles keep turning on - Is CBS News app the culprit?

Jump to solution

Factory reset did not help. This seems to be a problem with the CBS News app (and maybe some others) ignoring the system CC setting and turning CC on by default, then screwing up the system global CC to "Always On". Once I removed the CBS News app the problem seems to have gone away, or at least hasn't recurred yet after an hour of news channel surfing.

MikeKelehan
Binge Watcher

Re: Subtitles keep turning on - Is CBS News app the culprit?

Jump to solution

Yes, that's exactly the problem. Apps are allowed to mess with the system's CC setting, and some will do so even without user input. Apps should not be allowed to change system settings.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

Can you please provide us with the following information:

-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Giantmetalrabit
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi Danny and thank you for asking all of us!

I have a TCL 55R625 (2020), Roku TV A109X, Ser # X00300R43EVK, Device ID S054Y9C43EVK, Software version 9.4.0 Build 4206-88

I hope this helps in some way of resolving the "bug".

Thank you again, Danny.

0 Kudos
jks128
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Also having same issues and it's definitely within the roku system. I keep having to turn captions off but they automatically turn back on. I've did a factory reset, and restart and nothing has stopped this from happening. Doesn't matter what app I'm using, it's changing within the roku system.

Here is my info on one of my sticks that is having the issue........

Roku Streaming Stick (3800 series)

Model: 3800RW - Roku Streaming Stick

Serial# YF0059393102

Device ID: CU3975393102

Software version: 9.4.0 build 4200-55

Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
Pungh0Li0
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Danny, just run the CBS News app. Happens every time... and they seem to return after every ad if you turn them off.

0 Kudos